• In the Spotlight:

hi i was just wondering what other moms thought about vaccinations , im just worried about the shots causing autism to my child. I have read a bunch of articles about the mmr shot?? it doesnt sound to good , but then i wonder if my daughter doesn't get it will she get very sick , and if she does there's a chance for her to get autism, so im lost and the doctors really dont tell you much , so can someone just give me a little advice . THANK YOU !

To vaccinate or not??

bmsoraghan

Asked by bmsoraghan at 4:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok, here's my thing on them. Some vaccinations, to me, aren't important. But i do think the MMR one's are. I'm against them because of the whole putting chemicals in your body thing. Not really because of the risk of autism. Your baby can get sick if she doesn't get them. My son is getting the MMR but he didn't finsh getting the Hep B shot. It's what you feel is best for your child.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 4:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• i believe that this is definitely a personal choice, however, as much as articles may say, there is no direct link between vaccinations and autism. the benefits of vaccinations definitely outweigh the risks. I personally believe you should get the vaccinations, but again that is my personal choice. Ive also learned reading stuff like that never helps, it just adds extra worry to everyone that you dont need. its like reading a book called 101 things that can go wrong with your pregnancy(that obviously doesnt exist but im just using it as an example) I would personally say think of the benefits that you get from the vaccinations and take it from there.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• its your decision. but i for one DO NOT think in any way vaccinations have any relationship to autism.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I don't think there is any cold hard proof that vaccinations cause autism. They haven't proved that, it's a suggestion. My son has had all his vaccinations, he's 4...........no sign of autism at all. I'm not sure that they know what causes autism to begin with, so they are grasping at straws. I have also heard that hot dogs given to kids can cause leukemia............truth or fiction? My son seems fine and he loves the little things. It's a personal choice.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My son is autistic and I think alot of people reach to find a reason why their child has it and others dont. I dont personally believe that my son having autism has anything to do with vaccinations. I vaccinated all my children (I have 5) because I really believe that for us, we cant imagine what these diseases can do to our kids so we say oh I am not going to expose my child to a vaccination. I had a friend who chose this route and her daughter died from whooping cough. It was tragic and so preventable. I personally would rather have my child vaccinated then die from a disease that could have been prevented. I cant imagine how it would feel to know a simple shot could have saved my childs life.

Answer by gemgem at 5:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I do not vaccinate. There are many other dangers aside from autism that I have taken into consideration. Honestly, the fear of autism in comparison to other things ranks pretty low.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Ok I am with you here and just went through this myself. I have read all of that about the shots, MMR, and the mercury being behind it too. I went to the dr. about a month ago for my 2 yr. olds shots but I was prepared with questions. I asked the nurse and the dr. They both told me that there was no basis to the stories. The dr. even went and looked to see if mercury was in the shots he was getting and they were not. She said a man dr. friend of hers has a son with autism and has researched everything there is to research and has come up with nothing. I got the shots that day - after talking to her I felt better.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 6:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My oldest child has autism (age 11). He spiked a fever after shots, and we lost all eye contact. On child #2 I began vaxxes. She reacted to them at 6 months. I stopped then. Something makes my children sensitive to them. Research before you do it mama. I won't tell you to go either way, but I will tell you to research and not just by asking the doctor. they get paid too much to let any kid being vaccinated slip through without them. If you need a friend let me know. I won't push you either direction.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My father got polio 3 years before the vaccine existed. We think of diseases like small pox and polio as such rare, unheard of conditions that we don't really think about what they do to people. It's because of vaccines that parents now haven't really heard about these devastating diseases or what they do to people. I personally believe that by vaccinating our population, we are preventing a relapse of these awful illnesses in our society. We vaccinated our daughter because I hope she never ever has to live through a disease as horrible as what my dad experienced!
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• If you are nervous about them, just wait or do one shot at a time. We are starting our kids when they are 1 or 2 years old. Obviously there are some VERY strong opinions on both sides of this issue. You do what you are comfortable with after doing some reading. There is nothing wrong with putting them off until you are sure!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2008