walkers

My daughter Gracie will be 1 next mo I am a first time mom is walkers bad she has'nt walked on her own she will pull herself up and walk with furniture should I ditch the walker altogether?

203gal

Asked by 203gal at 11:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would still let her have walkers because may be it will build her confadence
    tiffany_poorman

Answer by tiffany_poorman at 12:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If you use the walker, make sure ALL stairs and steps are closed off so she won't tumble down
    Texgirl73

Answer by Texgirl73 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I have used walkers for both my boys. My youngest is only 6 months, but my oldest, he is 19 months. He used it all the time and starting taking about 5 or so steps right around a year.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Buy her one of those cool Fisher Price lawn mowers to push for her B-day mom and sell the walker in your yard sale!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My son never used the walker that they sit in. But i did get him one of the push kinds that also turns into a thing they can sit and ride on. I got it when he was 11 months and aweek after his 1st bday he started to take steps independently. He is now 14 months and starting to run! and the walker has been retired!
    CowboyKyle

Answer by CowboyKyle at 2:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• my daughter used a walker a lot. i hear that using a walker could kinda mess up the baby because they can't see their feet when they walk and thats supposed to be a big part of learning to walk... well on my daughters first birthday she took over 5 steps by herself!! btw right before she started taking 1 to 2 steps by herself she would hold on to the couch to walk. so sounds like your baby is perfectly normal and will be walking soon
    scarletsm0m

Answer by scarletsm0m at 4:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Walkers are a great way to keep a baby entertained and out from under foot.
    But for teaching a kid to walk - they are awful. They keep the baby from learning to balance her body, which is critical for walking.
    Your better bet if you want to help her learn to walk and gain confidence is to get a "toddler wagon" - one of those little toys they hold onto with both hands while pushing it around. That lets her have a "portable" piece of furniture to cruise with.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I never had a walker for the kids, but if your Gracie likes hers, then I'd keep it around. If she is ignoring it for a while, maybe put it away and see if she wants it out again.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Go with a walking toy for her birthday, Fisher Price just came out with one that is pink its a baby stroller for learning how to walk and then can be played with. Look on there web site for it.
    hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 2:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• there the link to it and there also a pony http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=900000&e=storethumb&pcat=fps_infant&ppage=2
    hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 2:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2008