Being a good steward.

My MIL is disabled and needs a place to live. She doesn't want to go to a high-rise and cant afford even the cheaper apartments on her own. We are Christian and I am having a difficult time with this steward thing. I know I should open my home for someone if it's needed, but where do you draw the line? She is a VERY messy person, lazy (not because of her disability), and cannot walk stairs. IF she were to stay here, she's be either upstairs or in the basement and would have to walk stairs. I just don't feel like I could take on the challenge of taking care of an extra person because she doesn't want to (and sometimes can't) take care of herself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It could be a combo of both things...Usually, God loving humans we tend to think of what God would want us to do etc... You dont want to put your marriage in the dumps either over this either, its a sticky situation, Pray about it and see what happens. What is supposed to happen will end up happening.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• It very important you sow good deeds. No matter how akward it may be to you. Whatever you sow you are going to reap it right back. You never know what your situation is going to be in the future.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 5:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Well think about it as if she were YOUR mother...Would you feel the same way? Does your husband want to take her in? Sometimes you just have to look beyond all the small stuff and look at the big picture, she is a human being and is in need of your help. I know it may be annoying or even a pain to deal with it but I feel as as daughter in law you should just smile and do it anyways. She will thank you in the long run...JMO Good Luck!!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My husband actually doesn't want her here...they have a very rough past together. If I decided I'd let her stay, he would probably still argue with me about it. He doesn't think it's a good idea at all...but I feel like God is telling me otherwise. It's just a feeling I get, so I'm not sure if it's something I'm making up on my own because I feel guilty, or if it really is God.
    Anonymous

• Do what the Lord says. One time I had to let my MIL come and stay with me. She represents everything I am against as a Christian woman. But I did it and the Lord blessed
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 5:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I would say "go for it". You could possibly get help thru the Adult Protective Agency in caring for her and possibly modifying your home since stairs are an issue for her.God bless and good luck,Robin
    ilovecoffee95

Answer by ilovecoffee95 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My mother did this. She went against everything in her to take care of her ailing MIL. They brought this woman 3000 miles to live with them because her OTHER 4 kids didn't want a thing to do with her. I felt that was so sad. She has alzheimers and my mother took her and began taking her to the doctor, giving her the meds and basically being a 24/7 caretaker for her. As it got worse, she began requiring care that my mom couldn't give her and they had to put her in an assisted living home, but I think the willingness to do it was there. I think my mom and her husband were blessed in the long run. Still, her other 4 kids have not visited, or called but maybe 1 time...in almost 18 mos. How sad.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 5:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• just think of the blessing you would receive for taking in one of gods children. your sounding very selfish. this could be a way for your husband and mother to get to feel apathy towards each other and strengthen their relationship. i took care of my father for a yr and he is more difficult then your mil. he never showered. never ate anything but bananas, always let the dogs out, 2 of which were killed. always stared at my husband, always spoke to me in spanish, pooped in the shower and could never make it to the toilet but he is to stubborn to go to a home and be pampered. heck i wish i could be in a old folks home. oh he walked around the streets with just his underwear and shirt.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2008