How to deal with a step child

He ignores me all the time. I tell him to do one thing and he does the other.
The other day he took my 7 months old toy to be mean and hid it he's 7 years old. Help

lwalter87

Asked by lwalter87 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you've tried to talk to him already have his dad talk to him.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You and dad need to be on the same page about rules and punishments. If he breaks the rule, then issue the punishment that you and DH have previously decided upon for breaking that rule.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We have the same problem with my step son and he's 10 and has been living with us since he was 4. My husband thinks its the brother thing but I think its much more. I just remind him that its not nice and take away his DS as punishment. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 3:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• ok there no much info here so it hard to answer but i say the same as riotgrrl
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 3:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• All you can do is talk to his dad about it. He is your step child, not child.

Answer by gemgem at 4:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It sounds like hes trying to get your attention. It might not even be a step child problem. My dd is a very sweet girl but when I had my second child she would pinch, take things, and just be mean to him. She was jelois of all the time I had to spend with the new baby, so in the evening I would have dh watch the little one while I spent time with the older kids. Doing what they like to do, that if I was taking care of the baby I wouldn't be able to do. Then soon she stopped taking it out on our new baby and just looked forward to our time together.

Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011