Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are at our wits end with debt and in a tight spot with money and making monthly payments.

We want to file for bankruptcy as a last resort, of course. But we have talked about going to see someone who deals with credit card debt. I have looked online and just findng ones ONLINE ONLY. We want to go and talk in person. What kind of experience have you had? I will say this......the cards are all in his name. He got them after we divorced, and now we are giving this another shot of getting back together. We have not remarried yet. Thanks for any advice.....               NOT TO CONFUSE YOU, DURING OUR MARRIAGE WE HAD CARDS TOGETHER. I DIVORCED HIM AND FILED FOR BANRUPTCY AND ALL THOSE CARDS WENT TO HIM AND HIS CREDIT!!! LOL   THAT WAS IN 2005. WHILE WE WERE DIVORCED AND NOT TOGETHER, HE SOMEHOW BUILT HIS CREDIT UP. SOOOO NOW THAT WE ARE TOGETHER AGAIN, ALL THE CARDS HE HAS ALL IN HIS NAME.  SO NO WORRIES.....

Answer Question

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 3:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 18 (6,063 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Check the Better Business Bureau (BBB) site and make sure the company is listed as safe. Lot of scams out there.


    Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • Maybe you could tak to your bank about a consolidation loan. Then get rid of the credit cards. Also, if your credit is spit spot, you could refinance you home with the low low interest rates that are out there. If you have a car payment, maybe you could trade it for something cheaper. Scrutinize your bills, and really ask yourselves, "Do we NEED this?" Lower your cell phone minute plan, cancel premium cable, check out auto insurance rates (you can sometimes find cheaper rates), buy bulk and don't go out to eat. Just a few suggestions. GL!

    Answer by kenzie07 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • Be VERY careful about who you go to. I would try to see if you can get a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney as many of them do debt consolidation as well. Be advised that when you enter these programs they do hurt your credit also - not as much of course as a bankruptcy but they do ding them and you have to get rid of all cards during the repayment process (obviously so you can't rack up more debt). So he divorced you and you are trying again and he ran up debt while divorced? Look on your bankruptcy court's district website (whatever bankruptcy district you fall into - a grouping of several counties) and they'll usually give a listing of credit counseling resources. You can get a lot of information from the court's website. Just google "Bankruptcy District for XX County" and then just make sure it is the actual court website NOT a debt relief website - sometimes they try to trick you. Good Luck

    Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • I would also make damn sure he's changed before you go jumping into solving his debt crisis which has now become your joint debt crisis.

    Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • I have filed and I went to talk to a lawyer for free, I didn't like what he had to say, but the next one helped me ALOT,, Consumer Credit Counseling is amazing as well,,, also if you call the CC companies and tell them that you might file and ask them for the botttom dollar they will settle for sometimes they will work with you,,,,,idk it was a painful awful experience,, and to be honest,, I wish I would have know about consumer credit before,, good luck and hugs!

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • If the cards are in his name and his name only, he can file alone! I hope this works out!

    Answer by kimigogo at 3:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • Let him file alone. My hubby was advised to do that.It is not that bad. You will get credit card offers even after you file. You get to keep your house too. If car is paid off you keep it. Don't stress over it. We went to a brankruptcy lawyer and paid about 1300 and got rid of a lot of debt!!!!!!!! Big time. You have to go to court though with a lawyer but after that it will be ok.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • You also have to do online counseling for about 2 hours.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • you could help pay off debt faster with a second stream of income like a plan B! Thats wha tI did honey! I would love to share with you my journey. hope this helps!

    Answer by arbnmom at 10:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • I work with an amazing company that specializes in all Money Management. Including debt, credit counseling and repair, access to lawyers, etc. If you would like to take a look at what they have to offer you can take a look at my information site.
    Good luck. Hope this helps.

    Answer by RMott at 6:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.