Need advice on how to help my parents.

Here's the back story: my parents live in Michigan and need some financial assistance but don't think they'll qualify for state aid. They own their own home and both work to make just enough money to cover bills. They need the financial assistance because their well went out and they need to drill for another one, so they don't have any working plumbing in the house. They can't get a loan from the bank because of bad credit from past mistakes, but that's a different story. The only person in the family who would have the money is my mom's mom and her boyfriend, but while not exactly saying no, they're also not jumping at the chance to help. Now I would love to help my parents if I could, but I'm barely making it by as it is with two young children and my husband being the only one working right now.
I guess my question is, does anyone know of any organization that would help give financial aid to a couple, who are working and not on any type of disability, for household repairs?

AmberBrat

Asked by AmberBrat at 3:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Have them call their city hall and ask if there are any city programs for that . . . alot of times, there are city loans . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• They can try salvation army, and also get a list of churches and organizations who help from social services. They can also try some smaller loan companies, not banks. I know for instance we have one place here called Welcome Finance and they do smaller loans and monthly payments and credit isnt always an issue.

Answer by gemgem at 3:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I found out but you have to do a little research in that website to find your answer. Look under Home Repairs

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thanks for all the advice. I'm sending them the suggestions, and we're keeping our fingers crossed.
    AmberBrat

Comment by AmberBrat (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2011