Americans should be indoctrinated at gun point

Mike Huckabee wants all Americans to be indoctrinated at gun point

Although he got a good laugh from the audience, it was only a partial joke.

How is it that someone with such a strong religious agenda makes it into office?

Do you TRULY believe that the separation of church and state can be upheld by our govenrment officials, when so many of them have a finite religious agenda?

Do you consider religious affiliation when voting?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 3:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Waldorfmom, it is true that the ideals Stated in our Constitution share some of the philosophies of Christianity--as well as those of many other belief systems. What it does not share is the command that we all worship the same god and put that god above any and all things. Ask any Christian on here--the polls have been numerous--and the number one answer to what it takes to be a Christian is to accept "God" and his son Jesus as their lord and saviour. Look at the Christian nations that came before us--there was no equality, so I think it can be argued that a Christian society does not mean an equal society. Killing is condoned in the Bible numerous times, if it seems justified, and by the same token, most religions do not condone murder or stealing. These are not values of the Christian faith alone--and they are values shared by (gasp!) Atheists and Agnostics along with many, many faiths.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I only consider religious affiliation when the candidate makes it part of his or her platform. When we had our last election in my state, I was appalled at the politicians who dared say that they wanted to "return our nation to its Judeo-Christian roots". They brought religion into their election bid, and that was all I needed to hear to know that I didn't want them anywhere near public office. People can believe what they want, but when a person who hopes to be elected to office declares that he/she wants to impose his/her religious beliefs on the general population, it tells me that he/she has a very poor understanding of the First Amendment, and thus probably the Constitution in general.

I've said it before, and I mean this:  I'd much rather have someone who has no religious affiliation fill the public offices.  Religion has no place in policy-making.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Q: Do you TRULY believe that the separation of church and state can be upheld...

A: No, and I don't think there has been an acceptable level of separation since before the 1950's. Unfortunately, it seems like it is getting even worse lately thanks to things like Fox "News", and the legions of idiots who forward emails full of right-wing religious propaganda to each other.

Q: Do you consider religious affiliation when voting?

A: Not religious affiliation so much, but I do consider a candidate's views and their ability to separate their personal beliefs from scientific fact and the rights of others. For instance, I would never vote for a Creationist who has said that they support teaching "intelligent design" in public schools. I would also not vote for a "pro-life" candidate or one who does not support gay marriage because of their religion.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 5:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• THanks for posting this. No I don't really look at religious affiliation because it really shouldn't matter. But if their agenda is to change our freedom of religion its certainly something to pay attention to.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Do you TRULY believe that the separation of church and state can be upheld by our govenrment officials, when so many of them have a finite religious agenda?

I often worry that elected officials will not uphold the First Amendment or purposely misinterpret it to fit their own agendas.

Yes, to some extent. I will not vote for someone who is definitely an ultra-conservative, right wing Christian or anyone who seems to be a zealot in general. If I feel they will think of everyone and not just their own religious affiliation, I will vote for a known religious person though.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• gees...joke or not its too far, especially for someone who wants to be President. but im sure the super conservative Christians are eating it up. im just glad there arent enough of them to get him elected. i dont remember him being so overly religious last election.

i dont think separation of church & state is possible when those who cant see past their religious views are elected into office. i think its fine & reasonable for someone to be very devout in their faith, but when they refuse to acknowledge that there are those who subscribe to another religion & that that is okay (& part of our country's foundation) they should be removed from office.

i dont usually think about religious affiliation unless its so extreme that i think its dangerous.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• (quote: kayslay) EVERY side has it's propaganda it's rude to say that people who just don't happen to agree with you must be "idiots"
    ---------
    I didn't say that people who don't agree with me are idiots, I said that people who forward email filled with crap are idiots. By this I mean the emails that are full of half-truths (if not total lies) promoting the far-right Evangelical Christian agenda in politics that wouldn't pass even a quick check on Snopes.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 8:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• People with strong religious beliefs get voted into office by other people with strong religious beliefs. It is that simple. No I do not believe seperation of church and state can be upheld in the manner some people want it to be today. I also do not believe it was intended to be such a strong fight like it is today either. Maybe our fore fathers were just not as up tight, or just more of a live and let live breed. I dont know? But I have seen it in both religious and non religious people (being more in your face).

And yes. I do consider religious affiliation when I vote, but not just that. I look at everything and then vote for the best person. I will not however vote for someone who does not share similar beliefs as I do. I have to date not been morally inclined to do that.

Answer by gemgem at 4:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• it's rude to say that people who just don't happen to agree with you must be "idiots"

she didn't, she called people who forward spurious emails idiots.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Wow, waldorfmom. Way to insult the intelligence and critical thinking skills of other members here--most of whom are public-school graduates.

To insert religion into government is not what our founders intended, whatever their personal religious affiliations may have been.  They knew the dangers of mingling religion with government, hence the establishment clause.  Yes, it protects religions and the right for all to practice what and how they wish--but it also protects us from having anything resembling a theocracy.

Let's also not forget Article VI, which forbids any religious test for qualification for public office.  I'd say that makes it pretty clear that there is supposed to be a separation of church and state, even if it isn't stated in those terms in the Constitution.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2011