Is Terry Jones directly responsible for the riots following his Quran Burning?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 3:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I see your point, Laura, but the media was doing what the media does--reporting the news. If they are found culpable, then so should the public who consumes the news, and to the companies who pay to advertise with the outlets who publish the reports. Where do we draw the line? Do we censor the media? How far should we go with that? What sorts of stories would be off-limits? Who should get to hear the stories to determine who else gets to know what is going on in the world?  Maybe there is an ethical line that was crossed, maybe not, but the person who started the mess was Jones. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No - not directly responsible. Indirectly responsible, yes.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• While he's not directly responsible for the actions of those who participated in the riots, he knew full-well what the implications of his actions might be. He was warned--our military said that burning the Quran would endanger the lives of our civilians and military in that region, and he did it anyway. He is responsible for that reason. Sure, one could argue that he wasn't the one rioting and killing, but he burned the Quran with the intention of inciting a reaction, and that's what he got.

Jones isn't an innocent babe in this.  He knew what he was doing, and the potential for a strong reaction from those he offended by intentionally burning their holy book.  He is culpable, without a doubt in my mind.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• He's indirectly responsible, and I'm sure he knew what consequences his actions could have. Personally, I do feel he morally responsible for the people hurt or killed in the aftermath. It doesn't seem very Christian of him!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• He is responsible because our military, who has some knowledge of how other societies work, warned him that burning the Quran could have this effect. He knew that he would draw media attention. He knew that word would spread that he burned the Quran, and he had knowledge that in doing so, he could endanger the lives of our own people. If it were a fluke--if he didn't seek media attention, or if he hadn't been warned, I might agree that he wasn't as responsible as I think he is. But he did know that burning the Quran would incite outrage, and that was his aim. That knowledge makes him culpable.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No gem it is not the same. You are not told by your child if you only use time outs, if you spank me, if you bf or ff I will go out and murder a bunch of people. This guy was told by multiple reliable sources what would happen if he did this and did it any way. This is more like a situation with an oil company not using proper shut off valves because the law does not require them too, but knowing full well if there is an oil spill they are going to destroy the coast. In this situation however he triggered the spill.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Nope. No one can force anyone to act out illegally.

Answer by gemgem at 4:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• The analogy I used in a similar question in the P&CE section is this: If we were to put a known child molester in with a group of children, and some of those children are harmed, aren't we culpable along with the molester? We knew what he was capable of, and even though he's the one molesting, he's the one actually committing the crime, we knew that it was a strong possibility that he would harm those children. Because we knew of the danger, but put the children in harm's way anyway, we would bear a great deal of the responsibility, just as Jones does in this case.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I agree with jsbenkert

He knew what he was doing...I think he got what he wanted
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I believe he should be held responsible to some degree - he knew his actions would have REactions. In fact, I'm betting he was counting on it, too....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011