Do you let your kids participate in school fundraisers?

do you let your kids participate in school fundraisers?

i was just wondering

my mother never let us participate in them because in her words"There making the kids hustle for them"
and we don't even know were the money goes to also they make you sell a hundred items for a prize that cost only $20.00

so i never really put that much effort into letting my girls participate in school fundraisers i let them participate in fundraisers for there cheer leading team but that's because i knew were all the money went to

do you let your kids participate in school fundraisers? whats your thought on it?

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 4:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes absolutely! Our school gives good incentives though. My dd just sold 650 candy bars and won the grand prize of $125 for top seller. I sell for the incentives for my dd and so she can get the recognition (which she loves). I would rather have her get positive recognition at school than negative and teacher her early that is the kind she wants.

Answer by gemgem at 4:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I don't have a problem with it, it helps teach the kids discipline, money management and people skills. I will draw the line at a few but with most, no worries.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Just had this conversation with my SIL. I do not. I agree with your mom, kids are hustling for the school. I've just ignored all the fundraiser requests but SIL said she just writes a small check to contribute. In the future this is what I will be doing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• teacher=teach

• My kids only sell to family.. and that's because there are times when they are selling something I will actually use =)
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• @bdflykisses yes i kind of agree with my mom on the whole thing but just so my girls wont feel left out i sell some to family
    LABELmeCUTE

Comment by LABELmeCUTE (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My school is funded well. (we live on post and they go to a school also on post.) Still every week there is a new fund raising tactic. I think it is just dumb. They already have the books, we provide the paper and pencils and butts in seats. What else do they need?
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• With budgets being so tight, fundraisers help provides arts education and field trips. Guess my answer is clear. :o)
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We havn't really done it- but mostly because we never know many people where we live...and I won't have them go door to door where there are 30 other kids in the nighborhood already doing the same thing. I will buy something occasionally- but the prices for the stuff is just rediculous, and most of it is something I wouldn't even want anyway

We have done OTHER things to help with school stuff though
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• YES! We are militaey and our kids are in the military school district, and those funds are needed! It teaches children to help, to give back, and to be responsible! I will always allow a good lesson!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011