Do you have a secret stash fund of cash for the "just in case" in life?

Many couples would never do this, but many women feel that things can happen and they want to be prepared. Sometimes people do this if they are thinking of divorce, some just to be safe.

So, if you do, do you have any hints to help others who want to do this? How to you get the money to put into it?

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 4:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes I do I have a huge stash, I went thru a divorce and was left with nothing bills over due and no money in the bank. I have the best husband in the world now but one never knows.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yes. Save some of what ya have every month.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I put aside some out of every paycheck, and also out of things like tax returns. It isn't so much in case of divorce as long-term illness or large unforseen expenses.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Dh and I used to. We had quite a good just in case savings saved up until the economy stayed downhill lol. Now we dont have much. We built is by taking whatever was left over in his check week by week and putting all but $50 in savings.

Answer by gemgem at 4:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We have an emergency fund that is accesable by both spouses. I don't hide money from my spouse.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If we get divorced I have a job, so I'm good.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would, but my income (I receive disability) plus child support plus family help would keep us safe and OK.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I always reccomend women have their own stash. YOu can tell your dh about it if you want to. Im a stay at hgome mom when I pay for groceries I write over for 20 dollars or so and take it right to the bank. Or birthday money.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• WELL before DH broke his back at work and has been on workers comp for the past several months.... the stash is gone.

The way I put mine back when I can is if I have cash for an outing or something, I stick back a $20 or whatever in the back of my wallet and I literally just consider that money spent. As soon as I have $100, I change it to a $100 bill because it takes less space and it's less tempting to use.

I don't put it back fearing a divorce, just in the event that an unforseen expense arises - like aforementioned work accident.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 4:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I just put all my cash tips aside from work...
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2011