Weaning baby from breast

My ds will be 11 months in a one week! I know i've got to start the process of weaning. I'm tired of breastfeeding. At the same time, I know i'll miss it..it's so easy to get him to take naps or to bed with the breast! He is not bottle fed at all..any tips on weaning?

madamlinwe

Asked by madamlinwe at 4:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is early to wean, but if you feel you need to then it's possible.
    It's healthier to continue, getting help & encouragement might be just what you need.
    If you want to wean then offering more solids helps reduce the supply and the demand.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You don't HAVE to stop. But, if you want to, I'd wait until 12 mos. Then, drop one nursing session per week until you are no longer nursing. If you start now, I would REPLACE one session per week with formula, but at this stage in the game, it's probably easier to just wait a few more weeks.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i just say wait too till baby is 12 mts. that way you dont have to do formula. you dont even have to do cow milk, you can do soy, rice, or even water. or cow milk. you can skip the bottle and go straight to a sippy cup.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i waited til 12 months also... I dropped the day time nursings first. I would bf in the morning, before naptime and before bedtime and in the middle of the night. She'd eat 3 meals a day nd I would offer her snacks when she would try to nurse in between. Such as yogurt, puffs, applesauce etc....
    Then I gave up the morning feeding. Then middle of the night feedings. Then naptime and finally bedtime and we were totally done breastfeeding at 13.5 months
    mab05

Answer by mab05 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You are right.....you will miss it...i did with all of my sons. I am currently still breastfeeding my 4th son and he will be 1 on the 22nd of this month. I am going to just let him decide when he is done and what times he wants to eat or not. That is what i did with my other boys and it worked for us. The longest any of the boys wanted to nurse so far is 14 months. But mab05 has great advice to offer.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i'd say wait the extra 4 weeks and ween to cows milk at this point. i'd go with mab05's advice on how to.
    doulala it's not to early to ween at 11 months! be supportive that she was able to make it to nearly a year, a lot of women can't do this anymore! i know i wont be able to make it that far! right now im lucky to still be bf for 4 months so far
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011