Can someone tell me more about solids foods?!

I feel like I need a tutorial on this stuff. I've been feeding DS solids for about 2 weeks (he turned 6 months on the 28th of March). He takes to it incredibly well, even trying to grab the spoon from me and feed himself with it. Most of what I give him stays in his mouth, too. But I'm confused about how to add foods and how much/often. I went to a WIC appointment today, and the woman told me that I should be giving him a sippy cup with meals, too! I never thought of that.

Like I said, I have been feeding DS cereal for about two weeks. I started feeding him once a day right after his bedtime bottle. Then, last Thursday, I switched the cereal to mornings and gave him pureed carrots at night, because he seemed to be taking it so well. What I want to know is, well, a bunch of things, but mostly things like:

How often should I introduce a new food?
How do I know when he is really ready to move on?
When should I give him finger foods? What about soft finger foods like bananas and stuff like that?
How do I start with the sippy cup? She said to give him one with his meals, but I usually feed him solids after he's done with his bottle, and I think it would be weird for him to have a cup while trying to spoon feed him. He wouldn't pay any attention to the spoon if he can give himSELF something, instead...

Anyway, those are all the questions I had, I think. Thanks for any helpful answers.

lyricsoprano90

Asked by lyricsoprano90 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try mixing it up so your baby gets used to flavours. When your baby has some in its mouth just wait until its ready for more with the spoon. Try mashing up banana with a fork with a little water, mash up avocado, bake yams & mash up with a fork etc., carrots etc get your baby familiar with tastes & textures....yes try giving a sippy cup for sure also.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You're right to give the bottle first, you will be doing that the entire first year. You can offer your baby some soft, small foods for self feeding instead of purees, if you choose, as it seems your LO loves self feeding. I would offer a little water in a sippy during solid meal times. Just follow baby's lead on solids from here. Remember that a portion size can be as little a bite or two.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It sounds like you are doing great!

Introduce new single ingredient foods with 3-5 days between each new food and look for diarrhea or rash so you will know exactly what food gave the reaction, if there is a reaction.

Start with all the cereals then you can try some of the baby food meats, introduce each one at a time. And every 4 days or so try a new fruit or vegetable. Around 8 months you can start adding the finger foods like the cheerios and cut up cooked vegetables and fruits.

You want to use whole milk until age 2 and I would use that or water in the sippy cup. These days they say to avoid fruit juices because of the sugars.

I waited until age 1 to give eggs and age 3 to introduce fish and peanuts but there is a lot of controversy now over allergies and the best way to approach it. You should not give any honey until age 2 however.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 4:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Give him the solids before the drink. Give him mashed foods off your plate at you eat them, like peas, potatoes, whatever you can mash or chop into tiny pieces. Some things you can puree in a blender like green beans, corn. Remember that his windpipe is about the same size as a hotdog. Never give him one without cutting it in quarters lengthwise. Look at everything you are to give him. Can it get lodged in his throat? If it can, cut it up. As he's teething, he will like cold foods. And try giving him a few Cheerios for snack, or stuff he can pick up himself. If he wants the spoon, give him one. (baby spoon) You will still be feeding him but he will be learning too.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• In your answer to when to how often to introduce a new food I read that you should introduce one new food every four days, that way if he reacts to something you will know what it is. Also, my Ped. told me that there are new studies out that showed that withholding foods from babies, besides raw meat (duh) and honey (until age 2) is what may be causing a lot food allergies. He said that after 6 months I could let her try anything. I bought these little freezer pods and plan on making my own baby food, but whatever works for you is what you should use.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 5:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thanks for all your answers! I really appreciate the feedback. It sounds mostly like what I was expecting, and I'm glad to see that I have the right idea, at least. Also, @08MrsAllen: I bought the same little storage containers. I get a ton of baby food from WIC, though, so I don't really know if it would be just too much baby food to make my own. hahaha
    lyricsoprano90

Comment by lyricsoprano90 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• How often should I introduce a new food?>>> after 3 days of consistency with the foood you can try another food. you want about 3 days to rule out allergies to the food introduced. .
    How do I know when he is really ready to move on? >> for flavor, go with the 3 days, for stages i always waited until mine tried all of stage 1 before moving to stage 2. usually i did cereal in the morning, fruit at lunch and veggie dinner (don't bother with stage one meats, they can be constipating ). started on just cereals for 2 weeks, went to cereal and veggie at dinner for two weeks, then to three meals after that.
    When should I give him finger foods? What about soft finger foods like bananas and stuff like that? you can try foods like gerber puffs for snacks at lunch to start with (they help baby learn to chew, but disolve so fast there are no choking issues. stay away from teething biscuits. huge choking issues with them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• How do I start with the sippy cup? you introduce it after the meal.. no bottle before. when they finish their meal you give it to them. when baby can sit up on their own they are ready for sippys. still give formula or breatmilk only until one year old.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My youngest just turned 6 months old on March 22 :)
    He too is taking to the solids VERY well..mine is a little chunky monkey,lol.
    We've been doing solids daily for about 3 weeks now.
    Bfast I give him Oatmeal& a fruit
    Lunch I give him Baby Yoplait yogurt
    Dinner I give him a veg & a fruit
    I offer him a sippy cup up water after the meal is over that way he can play with the cup all he wants,lol He's still practicing but getting better
    (he still nurses in between, I'm also trying to wean to bottles of formula,not going so well lol)
    About 3 days ago I offfered him GIANT EAGLE brand puffs..they seem a little softer than the Gerber brand.
    YOu can also offer cheerios at this point...they are small enough that if they do swallow whole..they won't get stuck in the throat.I put one at a time on his tray to grab.Good for learning to use thier pinchers :) They also dissolve quickly.
    I tried a new veg/fruit about every 2-3days.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011