Where is the best place to list items for sale?

My husbands uncle passed away almost a month ago. They stared going through his house on Saturday. The man had hundreds of models (air plains, tanks, and army men) that have all been hand painted. He also had a massive book collection. Most of it dealing with WWII.

Yesterday I was put in charge of researching, listing, and collecting the money from the books and models. I really want to find these items a home, where his thousands of hrs of hard work will be appreciated. Any suggestions? 

hillmom

Asked by hillmom at 4:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Well, if your not looking to get rich, if been using this site called Listia.com and its just like ebay, only none of its done with money, its all done with 'credits". You post something on there, and people will bid credits on it, and at the end of the auction you send them the item and you get the credits, then you can use your credits to bid on something else. So really, your almost getting it for a free lol. Another really great site that i love and post a lot of handmade items i make is Etsy.com. You get your own little store and website and they take a very minimal percentage of what you make, compared to ebay which is like highway robbery. Good luck!!
    brittsizemore

Answer by brittsizemore at 4:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Ebay or craigslist.. those are the only two online that I can think of.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Kijiji is a great way
    firsttimer338

Answer by firsttimer338 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thanks brittsizemore. The funds from the selling of his items have to go to the estate. I personally get no money out of the deal, I'm just helping out DH's Mom, Aunt and Uncle.

I'm worried about all the fees that go along with selling on Ebay, and I'm worried Craig's List won't reach enough people (we live in an area of low population). Maybe I'll reexamine them. I have also checked out Upiller.com (like Craig's List but a MUCH better UI). Maybe I will make a website? No that would take more time. I guess first I should photograph and catalog all those models! WOW that will take forever...
    hillmom

Comment by hillmom (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You can get a good idea what some of the things are worth on eBay. And if you have an account you can see what things sold for. Go to advanced search and click on "completed listings' and you will see what the selling price was. I'd be glad to search a few things for you if you are not a member, but membership is free. Private message me if you want. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• craigslist.com
    Ambii2011

Answer by Ambii2011 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I like etsy.com. Since you're looking for buyers who will appreciate the work, I think its a great plcae and from researching selling on it, I don't feel like it would cost too much. You defi itley want to take pictures :)
    JulienBella

Answer by JulienBella at 7:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Call AMERICAN PICKERS..... you could be on TV, or have an estate sale you would get it all gone in one day or atleast alot of it...oh but you asked about online...yeah craigs list or ebay...I would also make sure you reasearch the value of them they sound collectable...
    doula-mom25

Answer by doula-mom25 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• you can try this marketplace:

www.goods4all.com
    pnina1

Answer by pnina1 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 26, 2013