What kind of dental work can you get done while pregnant?

I have all my wisdom teeth and one decided to break the tooth in front of it and itself. It doesn't hurt that bad as long as I keep it clean, but there are a few days where it hurts so bad.
I don't have dental insurance so if I get these teeth removed I will have to pay for it out of pocket so I'm in no rush to call the dentist.
Can they even do that while I'm pregnant or will I have to wait til after anyway?

bdflykisses

Asked by bdflykisses at 4:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• In the event of a broken tooth, abscess, or damaged filling (and a host of other emergencies) they can and will perform necessary dental work. I had to have an extraction while I was pregnant with my 3rd child.

In the event of a broken tooth, there is a very high chance of infection, which can become life threatening if left untreated, and can cause pre-term labor, numerous fetal illnesses, and even still birth.

Call around to find a dentist who has experience (and proper x-ray equipment) to work on pregnant women. You need to get it looked at.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Only if it's an emergency.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i had a wisdom tooth removed around 28 weeks b/c it was infected & causing me a lot of pain. both my OB & the dentist assured me it wasnt harmful and that the biggest threat is laying on your back while they pull the tooth (if you're far along). i also had one Xray done. they put an extra vest on you & (at least at my dentist office) they only xray your head, never your body. i was told the radiation you get from the xray is similar to standing in front of the microwave for a minute or so, nothing too dangerous. and like Obby said, leaving it could cause serious problems to you & the baby.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Eek. the without numbing part scares me! Thnks everyone who answered!
    bdflykisses

Comment by bdflykisses (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• they will absolutely numb you- ignore her.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• you can get it done, just be sure they are aware you are pregnant and they may do it without numbing.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• They can't do anything since your pregnant I'm guessing you have to wait unti, you give birth
    Donnabell_nyc

Answer by Donnabell_nyc at 4:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• They can't do much since they can't take X-rays to find out what's really wrong.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2011