Does anyone know how I can set timers and/or time limits on windows user accounts so that my kids aren't on the computer all day while I'm at work???

My kids each have their own user accounts so that I could set up Parental controls for the internet, but I really don't want them on the computer in stead of going outside. Any ideas?

MomDrvnCrazy

Asked by MomDrvnCrazy at 11:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Hi i know your problem. That didn't work for me so I have to actually remove the mouse from the computer so that they don't get on it without permission. When the learn to ask to get on it, then I told them I would put it back. Hope that helps.
    Monicas3kidz

Answer by Monicas3kidz at 12:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If it's a pc, then taking the mouse away is a great idea. If it's a laptop, you can post a password on each of the user accounts that only you know, so when the kids look to log on, they can't!
    Texgirl73

Answer by Texgirl73 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Take the power cord to work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• You can still use a PC without a mouse....ya just have to know how to tab around. I agree with Kaycee14 Take the power cord to work with you. Or take the modem with you. They cant get on the internet without a modem. But they can always borrow a mouse from the neighbors.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I allow my 14 year old to use it when he wants, he really gets tired of it when I do not restrict. Besides its fun and I trust him.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• it depends on what type of windows system your running on. We have windows vista and my husband set up a windows account for each of the kids and then a computer only account. Then he went into the parental controls and set up a set time ( say from 5-7pm) that each could use the computer for online uses. then on the computer only account the has it set up so they can use it as long as it is no one elses time. It has worked great for us.
    jjohnson0217

Answer by jjohnson0217 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I forgot to mention that the computer automaticly logs them off the computer. It does give them a wearning about 5 minutes before they will be loged off.
    jjohnson0217

Answer by jjohnson0217 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• you could make it to where they arent on the computer until you get home - change their passwords and log them on and off - but then wouldnt you want them to interact with you while you are home?
    i am sure you can read the windows manual and find a way to do what you are trying to do.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• There is parental control software out there. Go to www.gomcgruff.com and you can download free software or purchase their plan that allows you to monitor and control the computer. I use it - my kids know it's on there - to monitor the im'ing and to keep an eye on the web sites they visit since I'm away all day too. You can also control how much time they spend on AIM and similar programs.
    cab128

Answer by cab128 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• you can get aol for the internet and they have parental controls where u can limit their time and block unwated web pages. They have to ask for permission and get approval before they can access them.
    starlite66

Answer by starlite66 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2008