Home made sloppy joes....?

any ideas how to make it? i have hambuger meat and i know i need tomato sauce but we just have canned diced tomatos will they work and what should i use to season it with?

dreamangel06

Asked by dreamangel06 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• This is a super easy recipe for it
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/Mommas-Sloppy-Joes/Detail.aspx

Answer by gemgem at 4:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• hmmm....I'd guess Hamburger, spaghetti sauce, maybe some taco seasoning or whatever spices you want to add.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If you just have diced tomatoes that should work, wochestershire sauce, a little flour for thickening and spices to taste. I always add a few tablespoons of yellow mustard.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Gemgem's recipes sounds yummy. I would try that.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I've never had the canned or packet kinds, I grew up eating my mom's homemade version and now make my MIL's "recipe" - cook & drain the meat (I add a bunch of chopped onion when I cook the meat), big squirt of mustard, some black pepper, some chili powder, sometimes some bbq sauce, about 1/4 cup water, and ketchup til it's pretty - let simmer til thickened. If I wanted to I could add chopped peppers, carrots, use tomato sauce or paste, etc, but I don't care to - doens't come out the same ;)
    Anonymous

• I like to add red or green bell pepper too.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Snobby Joes (from Veganomicon)
    1 cup uncooked lentils
    4 cups water
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium yellow onion, diced small
    1 green pepper, diced small
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 - 3 Tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    8 oz can tomato sauce
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    3 tablespoons maple syrup
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard (wet mustard)
    4 to 6 whole wheat buns
    Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside. About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more. Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through. Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can't wait.

• wow lol we dont have half that stuff right now! i made it using some yellow mustard, bbq sauce, diced tomatos, taco bell taco seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder and some chopped onions. dh said it was great! Thanks for all the recipes ladies!!
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• that sounds good and your dh said it was great, thats all that matters. my suggestion was going to be to puree your tomatoes and add chili or taco seasoning.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011