If you child goes to public school....

Did you send them to preschool/pre-k/daycare in their toddler years? Why or why not? (especially wondering about sahm's who sent their kids to any of the above-why did you choose that?)

NCmommie421

Asked by NCmommie421 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well my dd is in preschool now because I feel it would be more beneficial for her to learn from a school environment than just at home. She's learned alot and has applied alot of her skills she already had, she's improved on them alot.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I only sent mine to pre-k when they were 4. Basically like they would go to head start so they would have the same advantages as other kids going to school in kinder. Most kids have that foundation from pre-k, and those without it sometimes have a harder time adjusting and learning. It is alot to take in at once going from home to kinder I think. But until 4 yrs old they stayed home with me. No one watches my kids but me.

Answer by gemgem at 5:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yes, our two went to nursery school for 3 days a week for two years, ages 3 & 4. We wanted them to have the socialization because we were new to the area and did not have a lot of friends with kids.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'm a SAHM and my daughter turned 5 in February and is in pre-school with the public schools...has been since a week after she turned 3 years old. The reason for this is quite simple...because she needed speech therapy and our insurance would no pay for any of it. If insurance would have covered her speech therapy, we more than likely would not have sent her to pre-school until this year (the year before Kindergarten).

The first year from February - June she went for 2-1/2 hours Mondays and Thursdays. The second and third year she goes for 2-1/2 hours Monday through Thursday.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No, I arranged playgroups and a structured playgroup. I taught basics- colors, number, etc, and I put them in a few classes at the Y and the college so they'd learn some skills and have class experience.

Answer by Bmat at 5:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I sent my son to a district affiliated preschool/pre-k. It was $25/month, was a teaching lab for the high school students, and my son needed the extra socialization.

I won't be sending my daughter to a preschool/pre-k. The place he went to was a victim of budget cuts, and she SO does NOT need the socialization that her brother did.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I had my daughter in K3 because I wanted her to interact with other kids instead of being cooped up in the house all the time. Best decision ever. She only went half day and I knew her teacher outside of the school so it was great, a lot of peace of mind for me.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I did for my two older kids becouse it can help them in kindergartin. My third child did not go becouse he is gifted and when they tested him for pre school, they told me that he already knows everything that they will be teaching so he just went to kindergartin the following year.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My kids are in public school this year. The last 3 years they were in Catholic school and for the first 2 years my oldest was in a different public school.
    My girls all went to preschool. My oldest went 2 days a week for 1 1/2 hours each day when she was 4. My middle daughter only went for 1/2 a year when she was 5. It was 2 days a week for 2 hours each week. My youngest dd went for 2 days a week, 2 hours each day when she was 3 1/2-4. The youngest one went simply because she wanted to. She begged to go. My oldest wanted to go because her 2 best friends started kindergarten that year. The middle one went because she was very clingy and I didn't want her freaking out when she started kindy later that year. My son never went to preschool and my youngest dd isn't in school this year (she turns 5 tomorrow). I'm a SAHM. I don't see a point in sending a toddler to school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I sent my DS to head start. It's beneficial to help with getting to know other kids their age.Gets them ready for kindergarten. Improved his self help skills. It allowed him to have time away from us. I'm a SAHM and I did it to better him. It got him caught up to where he should be ready for kindergarten.
    smileynikki712

Answer by smileynikki712 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2011