Do you believe in Spousal Support?

Do you believe there should be spousal support given in a divorce? Do you believe age, employment (or lack of) makes a difference?

What factors should be considered?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, of course, if a woman has raised the children and hasn't worked during those years and then find herself lost in the job market because of this, of course there should be spousal support.

Answer by older at 5:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It would depend on a lot of different factors like who wanted the divorce and why, how long the couple had been married, and if every effort had been made toward saving the marriage.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• we dont have it in the uk
    ok maybe it should be giving to someon for 6 months or a year till they get set up eg a sahm suddley need to get a job and stuff
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 5:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I agree with the first and second answers. There are many factors that should be taken into consideration.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• dh told me that if i divorce him that he will pay for the apartment we live in so that i will stay here in this state. he will make sure that the kids have a home and things like that. but he wants to know that he will be able to see the kids. he would move in with him parents just so that the kids have there house
    Anonymous

• SAHM or SAHD should get a hand up when leaving a relationship. But only until they can support themselves.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yes, I do believe there should be spousal support.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Sure do...if the woman was a SAHM and supporting her household in that way, then yes, she should be supported until she can find employment and make it on her own...especially if she is the custodial parent.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 6:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• yes
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I didn't ask for it in my divorce, even though I was a stay at home mom and could have. I didn't, because the only money I wanted from him was child support.

I do think it's good for spouses who have been a stay at home parent, whether mom or dad, but I do believe it should have an end date (say 1 year or when the spouse finishes school or something like that) and when the end date arrives, that's it, cut them off regardless of what's going on.

Child support is the ONLY thing I think should always happen. Spousal support should be only in certain cases, mainly when the spouse has stayed home raising the kids.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011