What can I do or give my 1 year old, so she'll have a bowel movement?

My youngest has been having hard time having bowel movements and when she finally has one, they are big and hurtful to her. I wanna make it less painful and easy for her to have one.

Ambii2011

Asked by Ambii2011 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When DD was a baby, I was always told to feed her applesauce...and to stay away from bananas. If she still has problems, try a little bit of prunes.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• thanks
    Ambii2011

Comment by Ambii2011 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• apple juice and water or cranberry juice. My dd poops in no time when i do that
    cew816

Answer by cew816 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• give her prunes
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My mom always gave us milk of magnesia mixed in with warm prune juice. As gross as it was, it did the trick. I use it on my DD.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 6:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I agree with the above pps. Grape juice is an option too.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• prune baby food always does the trick, or if you have some real prunes, usually it takes just one and we get a poo 15 mins later!
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 1:55 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• applesauce, apple juice, prune juice, prunes, cranberry juice
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My Dr said a bit of Canola Oil. My daughter had the same problem. After I gave it to her first time..... she felt much better and be prepared for the "mess"
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• you can try giving her apple juice or apple prune juice. That can keep things loosened up. If you are needing to get her to go now because she is having trouble, we had to give my daughter a capful of miralax from the time she was 9 months up until just a cuple of months ago and she is almost three now. The doctor said it was not habbit forming and to keep her on it until her diet and system learned to function on its on. Now she goes by hersel every day and does not have to have thr miralax. Her doctor also said that me giving her the go gurts that i give her are a good source of fiber and that help keep her regular. i give her half of one each day. I freeze it so it is more like a popsicle and less messy. good luck
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 12:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011