How many times a day should I feed my baby?

He is 5 and a half months old, and I am going to start feeding him the gerber cereals and am not sure if I should only feed him once a day or more?

urbuttacup88

Asked by urbuttacup88 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We fed three times a day but were only doing a very small amount and fed a bottle before doing the cereal or baby food.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 5:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I feed it to by daughter twice a day and she is 5 months and one week old. At this point it's more just practicing eating than actually eating, about 1/2 of it or more ends up in the pocket on her bib! My Ped. told me to just practice with her and she will eventually catch on and to keep nursing her as often as she wants.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 5:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Breast or bottle needs to be the main source for now...you can add it in once a day, but it's just practice and getting used to texture.. it shouldn't be his main source of nutrition.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• He'd be best off if you simply wait until he is ready for solids... When he can sit completely unassisted, pick things up using his thumb and index finger (pinch) and bring them to his mouth on his own.

Babies can not actually digest grain until their system matures a bit more, usually between a year and 18 months. Until then, it will just upset his tummy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My kids would not touch the rice cereal with a 10-foot pole so we started with the Gerber 1st foods. They would still get that 2am nursing. Breakfast was the first meal we replaced a nursing with a food. Once they got that down we added lunch to the replacement. Once they got that down we added dinner.

Both of my kids started solids at about 4 months old. By nine months old they had weaned themselves from nursing and were on straight solids. We moved from 1st foods to 2nd foods to 3rd foods based on cues from our kids. If they were eating 2 jars of 1st foods and still hungry at a feeding we figured it was time to move up.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• is the baby breastfeed or bottle. i would skip cereal and start solids once baby is 6 mts old.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Breastmilk or formula are still the main source of nutrition until 12 months but you can start with some cereal in the morning and some at dinner time after the nursing or formula.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• its recommended to wait until they are 6 months old and can sit up on their own. you start with cereal.. a small amount.. once a day. try all cereals first leaving 3-5 days between trying them to rule out allergies. once you try all the cereals try a dinner veggie (keep 3-5 days between introductions) then slowly add in lunch with fruits. (stage one baby foods)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2011