What is the best remedy for cradle cap?

My daughter is 5 months old and ever since she was about 2 months she has had really bad cradle cap. At first I thought I would just let it go away on its own, but that's not working. It is yellow, crusty scabs in a U shaped on the top of the back of her head. Right now I have been using a soft toothbrush and either olive oil or baby oil and gently brushing the scabs off every other day or so. That keeps it from looking so gross, but it's not going away. M Ped. suggested using selson blue on it to get it to go away, which we have been doing (very carefully) for two weeks, but there is only minimal improvement. I don't think it bothers her, but it just looks gross!

08MrsAllen

Asked by 08MrsAllen at 5:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Johnson and Johnson make a shampoo called Meted Shampoo, ask the pharmacist..it works great. I do not agree that cradle cap is normal. You can treat it. You can also use a small amnt or Nutrogena T-gel Shampoo and a soft brush like they give you in the hospital.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• They have knits out there with special shampoo and a MIT and rubber prush for it. My son had it horriblely and it took care of it in a month or so.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i honestly dont agree with baby oil, its not a natural substance nor is it for hair, but Virgin Olive Oil from the supermarket works amazingly! my daughters cradle cap went away n i started using the olive oil wen the cradle cap first started :-)
    IHeArTZoEy

Answer by IHeArTZoEy at 6:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I always used Baby oil and soft brush several times a day. But it takes awhile for it to go away.
    csanderson1

Answer by csanderson1 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I used vaseline and combed it out it worked great!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It will go away. Baby oil with a baby comb gently. Not a toothbrush!!! OMG!!!! It is normal too!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I always used Johnsons baby oil gel and a baby brush
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 5:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Time.
    Anonymous

• Baby oil and a baby brush or comb gently! Not a tooth brush!!! OMG!!! Patience too would help! It is normal.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• The toothbrush is the extra soft kind, don't worrywink mini

08MrsAllen

Comment by 08MrsAllen (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2011