Should I bring my kids in to be tested for Strep?

For the past few weeks, I've had a really bad sore throat and very tired. I took NyQuil and the sore throat went away and I started feeling congested. I chalked off my sore throat as part of a cold.

The night before my weekly visit with my oldest daughter, she told me she had strep, but should be okay by the time for our weekly visit. My 2 youngest had a little bit of cold. We had our weekly visit (on a Saturday). Today (Monday) my son seems very tired and cranky. The daycare lady said he fell asleep sitting down. Im contemplating on bring the 2 younger ones in to be tested for strep, but hesitant to go in case it's not strep. I don't want to be charged a lot of money if it isn't strep.

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 5:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Health

• Better to have them tested and it be negative and you shell out the money than NOT take them in, have them have strep and end up in the hospital because untreated strep becomes NASTY!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My kids have had step several times,and with my kids usually there is a stubborn fever that is hard to bring down and their throat will hurt bad enough where they can't really eat.
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Strep is usually NOT contageous after the infected person has been on meds for 24 hours. A common symptom in young children is actually a belly ache. My son has had it 3 times this season alone and never had a sore throat. Watch for a fever as well.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We just had it run through our house. There was a about three weeks of us passing it. It didn't go away for me until my second dose of anti-biotics.

I might just test, just to be sure . ..
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011