How can i stop being lazy?

This is a very serious question to me. I have one 2y/o son and a 2nd child on the way and its imperative that i fix this 'sins of the father' type issue. my mom was/is lazy. she hates to clean, she DOESNT cook, and she likes to be 'spoiled' (getting hair done all the time, going out to eat, etc etc) i have become very much a slightly less lazy clone of her. what can i do to remedy the problem and to prevent my son from growing up lazy and spoiled as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Health

• Give yourself a daily schedule of stuff to do.

By the way, if you are raising a child, washing them, feeding them, changing diapers, you are anything but lazy!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I can relate! I wouldn't describe myself as lazy since I have a physically demanding job and I work almost 60 hours a week - but when I'm at home it takes effort sometimes just to get up off of the couch. It's like I mentally and physically shut down when I'm at home. Only I have a 4 year old and a 1 1/2 old child who needs my constant attention. I do the bare minimal cleaning and cooking for my kids in order for them to have quality of life, but I feel like I should do so much more.

Whatever the reason, it's not as easy as some people think to just change over night. The only advice I can give is to start changing your habits in small and positive ways. Start cooking one healthy meal a day, or make sure you clean your kitchen entirely at least once a day, or whatever you feel you can do and stick with it. Slowly start changing your "bad" habits a little at a time will make the process less painful and long lasting.
    3JuJu3

Answer by 3JuJu3 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Being aware is the first step and you are obviously aware. If you didnt realize you were lazy then Id say it would be a bigger problem. Just do what I did, look at what your mom did/does and do the opposite. My mom was a craptastic mom and I do everything the opposite she did.

Answer by gemgem at 7:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I hate cleaning, I'd rather do anything but clean. Plus, I'm always so tired. So I try everyday to keep up on dishes, do a load of laundry, and 29 things. If I do this, which takes about an hour total, I feel like I've accomplished something. 29 cause thats how old I am. I count everything thrown away or put away as 1, if I clean the counter that's one, etc. It works for me and it helps me keep on top of stuff.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i am like that too but i think my issue right now is my health is in question and the drs are running tests i have my good days and my bad ones, but every day i walk my daughter to school, its about a mile up and mile back, and usually i feel a lil energized and come home and attempt cleaning but then get fatigued so idk i know the exercise gets me going and such and i am not normally lazy just recently
    ness_uh_0630

Answer by ness_uh_0630 at 8:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I can give a couple of suggestion but I'm kinda in the same boat. What I'm working on is trying to do a little at a time and put my self and kids on some what of a schedule. Good luck.
    smileynikki712

Answer by smileynikki712 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i really want to rearrange the living room too so im not sitting in the same spot 24/7 lol. like switch the couches locations or something but idk if that'd work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• set some goals each day & mark them off the list so that you feel as though you have accomplished something. Have someone (a friend) to be accountable to, to help make sure you have done your to-do stuff for the day/week, turn music on while you clean
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 11:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011