How do you deal with a baby that refuses to sleep?

He just won't no matter how tired he gets he just won't go to sleep without a fight and it just seems like we've tried everything. We've had some success with swaddling him so tightly it feels like we're tying him up to sleep and we've tried CIO but it's really hard for me(I'm trying to do it right now and I have to wear headphones and turn the music up so I can't hear him cry or else I can't do it). Other things we've tried are rocking,fans, cuddling,even letting him sleep in our bed but it just never seems to get any better.And even when we get him to sleep if he escapes the wrap he starts sleep crawling,wakes up and is madder then ever because he's sleepy. He also struggles with nightmeres but I guess there's not much to do about either of those.

How do you make it so they go to sleep or have I already tried everything and just need to deal with that he's just a bad sleeper?

edit: I don't expect him to sleep through the night I just want him to sleep at all because this really seems to bother him as well as us.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 6:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is this baby?

Answer by older at 6:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• sleep whats that? my kids are 4 and 2 and i dont remember a nite since they were both born that ididnt get waken up at least once.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Older he's 8 months old and piwife it's not that I'm expecting him to sleep through the night I'd just like him to sleep at all.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same.  Bath, diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. Not all of these things but what works for you.  When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Your baby might cry longer since it will be a change for him but it will work.  I wish you the best.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Have you tried getting him on some sort of a schedule? I have found that that has helped with my 5 month old daughter. Also if he can associate something with sleeping that might help. For instance you could try playing a certain series of lullabies before bed and even before naps. Once he hears these he will start to gt tired. Before I had my daughter I used to have a really hard time sleeping so I would establish a routine before bedtime to prepare my body for sleep. It's what was recommended to me and it worked. If you don't want to play him lullabies you could try reading him some stories about sleeping. They don't even have to be the same books every time. Anything you can do to provide him with cues that it's time to sleep will hopefully help.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 7:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yep done the schedule thing and no change just a lot of screaming.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• how many hrs a nite thats his sleep. like stretches.3 hr 4 hrs? whats his bed time routine and what time does it start at?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Bed time routine starts at 7:30 with dinner, then getting him ready(bath,PJ's etc) at 8:30,then wrapping him up and cuddling with usually with a six oz bottle followed by a little warm water if he'll take it to get him in bed by 9:15. That's technically the routine but he breaks it every night by wiggling out of the wrap or just screaming and crying until 11:00 whether he's in the crib or not. During naps it's about every 30minutes at night it's every two-three hours.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• At 8 months, I think you have a spoiled baby and will need to let him cio, or he will rule you forever. I know it is hard, but ruling out any physical problems at the doctors, I would let him cio. My son did this also, and he is the youngest of 5, I was exhausted. He cried about an hour on and off, but it got better after that one horrible night.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:54 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• oh, finally i am not alone. My 8 month old is giving me the blues. I work and she stays with my mother in law during the day. She says she does not nap very long at all during the day and she still don't want to sleep at night. For a while she was on a good schedule being in bed by 8 and sleeping till around 4 then getting a bottle and going back to sleep, but latley things have been awful. She wont go to sleep . She fights me so much and when she does go to sleeop she sleeps maybe 2 hours and then is up again. When i give her her teething tablets it helps some, but i don't thing she is any pain, i just think she has gotten confused and is getting so tired that she is mad and wont sleep good.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 12:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011