Discipline for a 2 year old

I've been having a difficult time getting my daughter to listen to anything I say to her. I've literately tried EVERYTHING. When I speak to her she mimics me and thinks its a game..... when I put her in time-out she gets down whenever she feels like it no matter how many times I put her back. I'm just at a complete loss. Does anybody have any ideas for me that I could try?? I know she's in her terrible 2's stage but there has to be something!

KrazyKutie

Asked by KrazyKutie at 6:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just ignore bad behavior or redirect her attention. If she is doing something that she doesn't realize is wrong (like gluing pieces of paper to the table and calling it a Christmas tree) I explain why she can't do that. And then have her help me clean it or fix the problem. I think kids at this age are just experimenting with what they can and can't do. Also, they are are experimenting with how you will react. If you give them a big reaction, it might be entertaining. Also remembering that 2 year olds don't have a great memory helps. You may have to tell her not to do something 100 times before it sticks. I have a particularly wild child and I don't think time out would work. Compared to other kids her age, her attention span has always be much smaller and she has always been much more active. Constantly moving.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• This might not be a popular answer but it has worked for us. I rarely think my daughter is being "bad." Just figuring out the world around her and making mistakes as she goes.
    jcsscfam5

• You can also take a toy away for a while . . . my two year old is extremely receptive to that one!

Good luck .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i use the playpen for time outs cause my 22 month old wont stay there and i cant spend all day chasing her down, it works well
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Giving our kids a warning that their favorite thing was going to be taken away worked for us. Figure out what that one most important thing of hers is and take it away for an appropriate time. Each kid has that one thing that means THE most. It won't necessarily be a toy, but could be an activity, a snack, etc. As far as time out goes you have to take them back to the spot over and over until they "get it". It can take awhile and several days before it sinks in. Give the warning, take her there, and do not talk any longer. Take the anger out of it and be matter of fact. Plus praise her when she does things right and spend positive one on one time with her. It goes a long way to helping her want to listen.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I lke that, jcs!!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Hmmm I'll have to try that!
    KrazyKutie

Comment by KrazyKutie (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I'd use the playpen idea but she climbs out of hers in .4 seconds lol
    KrazyKutie

Comment by KrazyKutie (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• jcsscfam5 has good ideas and suggestions
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• we used the high chair for time outs. at 2 1/2 she sat at the dinner table in a chair anyways so we did not use the highchair.. so for time outs its the "baby chair"

remember stay calm and firm. when they get up, put them back. pause the timer when they get up too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2011