Has this happen to you?

I have two sons, and am pregnant again I am hoping for a girl, and already have her name all picked out..... My friend is pregnant as well with her second daughter and has decided she liked the name I picked and wants to use it even if I do end up pregnant with a girl... She told me our daughters could be like twins...I feel so heartbroken since that name has so much meaning to me, and I have this feeling that this may be another boy, but still wanted it for my future daughter.... I don't know what to do or even think.... how would you respond to something like this?

mommatabby

Asked by mommatabby at 6:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My sister did this. I always wanted to have my daughter middle name as Lee Ann(my mom and MIL middle name put together). Well she had her daughter before I had mine and gave her the middle name Lee Ann. I was so upset. May sound childish but I ddin't want to share lol. So my dd middle end up being Kennedy.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Well, you basically have three options. 1: choose a different name. 2: tell her why this name has so much meaning to you and explain that you would appreciate it if she picked a different name. Hard conversation to have, for sure, but well worth it if it's that important to you. 3: choose the name anyway and get over the fact that your friend has no originality or personal creativity.

Or you could use an alternate spelling of the name, if that's possible.

I chose option 1 when that happened to me. I was only upset for a little while and then I got over it. My daughter has a beautiful name and I wouldn't change it, even though I had wanted the other name. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• do you think she likes the name or just coping you if she just coping you tell her you gone of the name as you meat a not nice kid with the name and say a new name maybe she steel that one lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 7:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I had a name picked out and someone stole it odd spelling and all (Collan Walker). I was sooo mad, so I picked another name (Zachary James) and kept it secret only to have another friend announce that name for her child.. I was so heartbroken.. I ended up emailing the one friend who named her son the one I didn't tell anyone and asked if it was okay with her. she was fine with it, we ended up with our second daughter Abigail and plan on trying for our own little Zachary James. I can fully understand where you are coming from and I think it is selfish of her to name her baby that as well KNOWING that you had the name picked out. it sucks!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think it's to copy me since she just told me last month that ppl will think the name is stuck up, and I told well I think it's beautiful...lol.... then last week she told me it was a bad pick since most kids will have trouble writting their name out if it has 7 letters in it...I told her mine has 7 letters I had no problems learning to write it..... then yesterday on FB she messages me to tell me well now I like that name I wanna use it also our daughters could be like twins.... My first thought was Twins don't have the same name!!!
    mommatabby

Comment by mommatabby (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i say who cares. it's a name. my cousin used the girls' name i was going to use because she had a girl before i did. but i would do it for a different reason and that's what makes the name!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It sounds like she might be a little jealous that you were able to come up with something original. And she sounds pretty clingy as well. Is there something going on in the background that you could ask her about? Maybe she's having a struggle with something else but can't come right out and ask you for help. Sometimes when someone is that clingy, it's out of fear or need. BTW, what kind of name did you pick out?
    ma23

Answer by ma23 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Tell her you LOVE the name Abigail Grace and watch her change it.. every time you talk to her pick ONE name and just use it and talk non stop about it.. bet she changes her mind
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• just tell her straight "listen, I have chosen that name because it means a lot to me, and I shared it with you, because I tought you were my friend, and Id have never think that you could do this to me. thats not nice, maybe you should give it a little more thought and choose a name that means something to you for YOUR own baby"
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 7:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I would just suggest other names to her that you like and were considering and go with it. If she truly likes the name she may have just tried to get you not to like it because she secretly picked it out and didn't know you had picked it out as well before you first discussed it. If she's copying you though, she'll change the name.

I didn't have the problem with name sharing, but my dd happened to be born the same day as my nephew at the same hospital. Then my ex room mate ended up having her DD the same day I had my second kid.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011