If you can't get in to see an OB or a fertility specialist, try a Naturopath Doctor :)

I am so impressed with the research and care that my Naturopath Doctor has given me these past few weeks.
My nurse practitioner is not an expert in fertility so would refer me to an OB for fertility testing since my 2 m/c's but the OB faxed her a letter saying that we are to 'try' for at least 9 months before my NP can refer me to her again.
In my frustration, I was advised to try a Naturopath Doctor (not covered by OHIP in Canada) but well worth it!
She is testing me for blood clotting issues as this 'could' be the reason for my m/c's. I will meet with her again this week to get the results of the tests that I had done today. If the tests are normal, then she already has some tests she wants to do next.
She has also put me on Vit. D, a multivitamin, extra folic acid and omega 3. All I was told for the past several years was to take a good multivitamin with folic acid (but the ND says I am not getting enough!)
I am so encouraged that she is actually taking steps to at least 'try' and find out what could be causing my m/c's.
I'll let you know what happens and how everything turns out!

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 7:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• How do you find one and about how much are the appointments?
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 7:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We are in Canada, but the first 15 minute consultation was FREE! Then, I had a 1 1/2 hour appt. where I brought all the tests and dr. appt's I have had in the past 6 months from my Dr. and OB so that she can look it over. She also had me fill out paperwork to bring with me to that second appt. regarding my family history as well as past illnesses, surgeries, diagnoses, etc. This appt. was $150.00. At this appt. she went over what we need to do (i.e. lab tests or other testing) as well as vitamins and minerals or other supplements that I need to go on. My next visit it my follow up after my lab tests to see what is found. She isn't charging me for this as I won't be more than about 15 minutes. Then, I will also know if more testing needs to be done and possibly come back for another consult which is another $125.00. It isn't cheap but I am very confident with what she is looking into and that she has also put me on.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• well im happy for u that u r finally getting sum help and i hope u figure it out and get sum where
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Good Information!!!
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• This place called Instituto Vida in Guadalajara Mexico is world recognized for 59% success rate and for their expert medical director author of many books on Infertility
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• 150 for an appointment with a specialist without insurance isn't bad. I'll check more into it.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 12:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Just to clarify, this is a Naturopathic Doctor. Although she is very knowledgeable, she is a doctor, but not necessarily a fertility specialist. She just has new insight on my issues and is looking into them by ordering me some tests to narrow it down; we hope to something that has been causing our past miscarriages. She can look into any health problems, not just fertility issues. She also has helped people dealing with cancer, irritable bowel syndrome, arthritis, etc. I have decided to go to her as the OB that saw me before my second pregnancy doesn't want to see me again until after we have been trying for at le 9 more months (problem is, we have been TTC for 9 years and just got pregnant last spring....m/c, got pregnant in November, then m/c again) so I am bit frustrated that we would be told to 'just keep trying' as we have been doing nothing but that for over 9 years now.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011