TEETH BRUSHING!?

ok i know this is awful but i have to admit-i really rarely ever brush my 2 year old's teeth. he has them all but we rarely do it bc he HATES IT he will bite the brush, run and hide, etc. my husband is the designated tooth brusher for him bc he actually lets him do it unlike he does w/ me but my husband does it like...once a week...when i REMIND him. its like we just forget. i am so pissed at myself for not doing it and im sure i'll get bashed but oh well, just wondering how you get your child (preschool age) to brush and how often you do it?? also if you only do it once a day do you do it in the morning or at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We sit on her and do it nightly.. we will hold her down if we have to but we brush them at night and I let her play around with the tooth brush in the morning while she is on her potty chair
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• This is a constant struggle for me with my little ones. My son is 2 and my daughter just turned 1. When I remember, which isn't as often as it should be, I do it at night. I'm trying to get in the habit that once we put pajamas on we also brush teeth. I think you're supposed to do it twice a day though, just like your own teeth. I don't know if I'll ever get that good though.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Also, with my son, he always bites the brush. He just now started opening for me a little. It really helped once I started counting for him. "1...2...3...4.... etc." all the way to 10. Somehow counting while I brushed helped him to calm down enough to let me do it. My son is 28 months, by the way.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• My daughter isn't this old yet, but I wish you luck! I can only imagine how tough that much be. I just started brushing my daughter's gums, and she seems to like it for now. I don't do it everyday, and I feel bad when I don't. A lot of people don't seem to brush gums, but dentists always tell me covities can form before teeth do...so I'm trying to be proactive! I'm working on doing it everyday, but I forget too. No harm, no foul!
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i tried making a chart to check off nightly but even that gets overlooked =/ i dont brush my teeth twice a day, i only do it in the mornings bc if i do it after i've eaten any food at all(even if i wait a few hours) i throw up bc of my gag reflex. and i dont put him in pajamas at night usually he just wears the shirt hes worn that day or another shirt for the next day, and his diaper, to sleep.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• he got his 1st tooth at 3mo's and i was better at it then, i would massage the gums/teeth w/ a washcloth but once he got all the teeth and started using a brush and being a butt about it i havent been as successful
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Try brushing your teeth while he is brushing his. Make a game out of it tell him to copy what your doing see if that might work. Kids love imatating mom and dad.We do it at night after a bath.
    smileynikki712

Answer by smileynikki712 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We had this problem with our son too. We took the kids to a Pediatric dentist and this is what he told us to do, we did it and it worked! First couple of days are not fun, but for us, by day 3 the problem was solved. You need both of you...one sits on the toilet holding your son, one arm holding his arms down and the other hand on his forehead to keep him still, with his head resting on your chest or you'll get headbutted, lol. The other brushes the teeth. You just have to completely immobilize him.  He will hate it for a few days until he realizes a few things....cont.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• ,1) its going to happen whether he likes it or not and 2) its really not that bad, lol. For us, we had screaming and crying 2 nights, and on the 3rd night when DH was brushing her teeth, he ran into the bathroom and said it was his turn and behaved like an angel and has been good ever since, this was about a year or so ago. And you just have to remember to do it each night.

gramsmom

• at what age do they start to like it? i've seen kids 4-5yrs old who really enjoy brushing their teeth a lot of times a day so hopefully he will start liking it when he learns to communicate even more!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2011