If you have a cockatiel, what do you cover the cage with? We use an old sheet from the bed.

Does it really matter? Towel, sheet? Hubby says he needs some air in the cage! Don't really know alot about this type of bird. Thanks!

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 7:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pets

• Nah... we used to use a blanket. They still get plenty of air.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• my cockatiel doesn't like to be covered lol. she flips out (she has issues). air is not gonna be an issue (well unless you're going to shrink wrap it lol). when i take her to the vet i take her in a little cardboard shoebox and the vet said don't even poke air holes in it because there is adequate air flow through the cardboard......so any kind of fabric will be fine if cardboard is fine lol.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I used a towel when I had 2 of them. I only did it overnight so they wouldn't sing, never during the day. Never had a problem.
    Anonymous

• When I used to have birds, we just always used an old bedsheet to cover their cages. I think your bird will be fine w/ a sheet.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We did the same thing with ours growing up.  Papaya lived towards the upper end of their life expectancy and was just as noisy and active ever right up to the end.

BryzniFaye

Answer by BryzniFaye at 9:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I've had four cockatiels, many lovebirds and several parrots. I have never covered a cage. I've had vets tell me someone should do a study on why our birds all live to such elderly ages! I think the idea of covering birds goes back a century or more, when people had drafty un-insulated houses. I can't see any reason to do it now.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 11:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• when we had our cockatiels we covered the cage only to tell them it was bed time and to settle down. . . it never stayed on them all night, just an hour or two until they settled. . .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Whimsee, the reason we always kept our bird cages covered until morning was because if we didn't, then our birds would start chattering and singing as soon as the sun started to rise. With their cages covered, they usually kept pretty quiet until we uncovered them when we got up in the morning.
    Not being argumentative, just throwing that out there as a reason that some people may still do it...for some peace, lol.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Exactly!! We only cover the cage when we go to bed.
    4theloveofTink

Comment by 4theloveofTink (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Either one of them. Also most pet stores carry (or can order) cute cage covers!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2011