How dangerous is one glass of wine ocassionally while you are pregnant?

I am 8 weeks pregnant and I am feeling an intense amount of stress right now due to living circumstances. I am very concerned that if I have a glass of wine to help me relax will be harmful to the baby. Any advice or personal experience would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Don't risk it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't risk it. You don't know how much of that is actually getting to the baby. I try not to even take meds while pregnant even if the doctor says it is ok only because you don't know how much is getting to the baby.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Not worth the risk, distress doing yoga or some for of exercise.

Answer by older at 7:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• No it will not harm the baby ....
    mari2120

Answer by mari2120 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• if the question even pops into your head of how dangerous it could be..then you know it is something you should not be doing so just don't do it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't risk it. The studies that have said one glass of red wine occasionally have been very narrow and vague. Try a glass of peppermint tea, or a walk. My first pregnancy was really stressful. But now my daughter is really, really good at handling stress and has been a pretty calm child. Hope that gives you a little light at the end of the tunnel.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Most studies show that a glass of wine is non harmful. The only risk to the fetus is when you are an excessive drinker, as in more than 2 drinks a day for the duration of the pregnancy. Ask your OB for the best advice.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• ive read articles that give the okay for pregnant women to drink half a glass of wine a day & ive read articles that say a sip is dangerous, but its really up to you & your Dr. will it really help you relax enough that you wont feel more anxious down the line?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't risk it. Try to find something else to get rid of stress--bubble bath, movie night, etc.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It depends on who you ask. Research tends to point to an occasional glass of wine being ok, but the problem lies in not knowing exactly how much is TOO much. Some people say one glass is fine, others say you shouldn't risk it. Even doctors' opinions vary. It basically comes down to your own comfort level.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011