Do you hate asking your parents for money?

Something is wrong with our only car....something with the water pump or whatever....and it's going to cost like $640 to fix =( We just don't have that money right now and DH's job depends on him having a car....

My mama is an awesome human being and a better mother, she is so generous it is just ridiculous but OMG I do not want to ask her for this money! My parents are pretty well off so it's not like...you know...it's an issue to borrow it or anything and we're getting another $4000 in about a month or so because DH filed 2008's taxes or something so we will be able to pay them back as soon as that money comes...I just REALLY, REALLY do not want to ask!

Am I the only one who goes through this when they need to borrow money? lol I sure hope not lol

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I haven't had to ask in years, but in my family, it is not a big deal. If I had to borrow money, pretty much all that would happen is I would ask my dad for the amount and tell him when I would be able to pay it back. I doubt he would even ask what it was for. I have loaned other family members money on pretty much the same terms. Of course, we have never had someone not pay us back the full amount when they said they would, either.

I would say if you know that you will be able to pay it back next month, it is probably not as big a deal as you are thinking.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I hate asking my parents. My mom would give me everything she owns but my dad will lecture me on not having a good enough education to bring in enough money or some crap like that. They are rolling in money and I freak out when I ask to borrow $50. They live almost 1000 miles away so it is not easy for them to get it to me.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• we have been in an awful situation where we have had to borrow a good amount from my parents....i feel so guilty asking for it but dh hasnt had a steady job since jan so we have to, but my mom doesnt care if we pay her back, which i hate to because i feel bad when we cant.....btw we live in texas and my parents are in california.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We had gone through a really really hard time 4-5 years ago and were going to lose our house and pretty much everything we owned. I called my mom and asked her for it. I think I started crying the second she said hello. It almost made me sick to my stomache. She loaned us the money and we payed her back 2 months later. Asking a parent for money has to be one of the hardest things to do. If your husband needs the car for his job, you might have to swallow your pride and ask. Good luck!!
    HeidisMom800

Answer by HeidisMom800 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Your not alone. We have been in your shoes before and i hate it too. I dont mind having to ask i just dont want to her them say no i cant help you out. My mom would let me know right off if she could do it and wouldnt be telling me i have to pay her back. Now his parents would be telling us how to use the money and when to pay them back. Then if we couldnt pay them back on time they would have a cow and would be bugging us until we could and calling all the time. What makes me even more mad is each time his parents have asked me to borrow money they dont even think to pay it back. This will even make you more upset tthis one year when we had to live with his parents at the time his parents had the nerve to say that when i did my taxes that i was to give them the money. WTF these people are crazy. I told them my tax money is my kids money. Jsut go ahead and ask foe the money you need it worry about the other stuff later.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We don't borrow large sums of money, I've borrowed $20 here or there. But my mom borrows from me too. I agree with the pp who said to shop around and do it yourself (well, your dh lol). My dh does all of our minor repairs (water pump is doable). My dh has replaced his on his truck. Does he have a friend who's a "backyard mechanic"? I'd see how low you can get it before asking.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would ask if i really need it!! I have never asked for more than $100.00. Things are so strapped at their house now, I would feel bad. But in your situation, I would. You guys need a car, car gets you from A to B! Good Luck in asking.....
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 7:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We have only had to borrow money once from my hubby's dad but that was only because we knew we could pay him back the next day. I would rather cut off my arm then ask anyone for money, so we don't ask.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I don't mind asking - they have it and I don't. I just make sure to pay them back as soon as I can.

Of course I would rather not have to borrow but I know they're always there to help and don't take them for granted.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i don't ask my parents for money.
    if its the water pump have him call around and put it on himself. it will be much cheaper.
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 9:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2011