How can I get a toddler to keep his clothes on while going to the potty?

emmonakpat

Asked by emmonakpat at 7:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine did it for a while too. Sometimes still takes his pants and underwear completely off. They do outgrown it. Just gently remind him that he doesn't need to get completely undressed. He'll get the idea eventually.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My son did the same thing. He had to take off everything just to pee. As he got older he grew out of it and went for the easier way.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Don't worry this too shall pass. My son did the same thing. In his mind it was so he wouldn't pee on his shorts.
    Holland04

Answer by Holland04 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would say, you don't.
    Don't worry about it. It will eventually become more clear that it's not The Norm and an unnecessary burden.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I THINK ALL KIDS DO THIS AT SOME POINT. ENCOURAGE THEM TO STAY DRESSED. IT COULD BE WORSE THEY COULD POTTY ON THEMSELVES.
    TRACY1977

Answer by TRACY1977 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My dd does that ALL day long.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Could be worse, mine sometimes pulls them down and misses causing need for a complete change. Mine does it to sometimes--when we are home I sometimes let him wear clean sweats with no undies because it is easier for him to pull them up and down on his own and the feeling of independence to be able to manuever them has made him feel better about keeping them on.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2011