Ok so my 4 year old daughter walks on her toes, does anyone else have this problem with their kids? if so, what did you do about it

we are always reminding her to walk flat on her feet and she does only for a little while and then we will see her doing it again, im kinda worried she might have a short archilles tendon and may need surgury, i plan on taking her to the dr to find out what her deal is for sure i just wonder what if anything you did about it thanks!

ness_uh_0630

Asked by ness_uh_0630 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My nephew did this and had to get leg braces to stretch "sometiing" not sure what it was. Talk to your doctor about it , as it can be fixed. Good luck.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think its pretty common. She'll outgrow it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• DH is 3 and 1/2 and has done this since she began to walk. She walks flat on her feet at times, but she really seems comfortable on her toes. I never thought it was a problem, so this has peaked my interest. I just thought she had a natural tendency for gymnastics and ballet, so we enrolled her in classes. Now I'm concerned :-(
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• well ok marley has been walking one her toes since she could walk too, she prefers it i ask her if it hurts to walk flat she says sometimes. @kenzie i think the same thing about the gymnastics and ballet but my bf says that it doesnt seem normal but i dont think you have to be worried, aske her if it hurts to walk flat,
    ness_uh_0630

Comment by ness_uh_0630 (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thanks OP! Will do! I'll do some research as well. :-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• yeah no prob :)
    ness_uh_0630

Comment by ness_uh_0630 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• ds walks on his toes still but is walking on his feet more and more. does she walk on her toes with shoes on to?
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• yeah she walks on her toes in her shoes too... :(
    ness_uh_0630

Comment by ness_uh_0630 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• yeah, you might want to have it looked at just to be safe. she's young enough now that if there is any issues, it might be able to be fixed pretty easily.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Walking on the toes or the ball of the foot — also known as toe walking — is fairly common in children who are just beginning to walk. Most children outgrow toe walking by age 2. Kids who continue toe walking beyond the toddler years often do so out of habit. This is known as idiopathic toe walking. As long as your child is growing and developing normally, toe walking on its own in early childhood isn't likely cause for concern.

It's important to keep an eye on other signs and symptoms, however. For example, toe walking accompanied by lack of muscle coordination could indicate cerebral palsy. Toe walking may also be a sign of autism or other developmental disorders.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 1:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2011