Can you recommend a bassinet for my newborn?

My MIL has offered to buy our LO a bassinet and I'm looking for something simple yet timeless and stylish (?!).

Please recommend your crib, why you like it and links to an online store she can buy it from.

Thanks!

mynaturalbaby

Asked by mynaturalbaby at 7:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We bought a Cariboo bassinet for 10 week old DD and I highly recommend it. It's sturdy, safe and can be folded up when not in use or if you want to take it for overnight trips. It's a classic looking bassinet but has stylish fabric and design elements.

I bought mine on www.cariboocribs.com.

Hope that helps!
    DecemberMomma33

Answer by DecemberMomma33 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I didn't use a regular bassinet. I bought a pack in play that also had the bassinet feature in the top. DS was only in that for a month and then went to his crib. We then used the pack-in-play when we were out of town or at a friends house while he needed to sleep.

lovemycorbin

Answer by lovemycorbin at 8:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i would reccomend not wasting your money (well mil's money lol) on a bassinet. just use a crib. i don't know a baby who actually slept in their bassinet, they woke up right away. plus they are only in it for a short amount of time.....i would just get a better crib with the money i would have spent on the bassinet!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I had a cute little bassinet but I wish I would have gotten one of those things that attaches to the side of your bed so that it's kind of like co-sleeping but the baby has their own space and you can't roll over on top of them. I ended up just sleeping with my dd in my bed more often than not for the first six months or so. For the next baby I will reuse most of what I still have but I am definitely investing in one of those co-sleeper beds.

I have a Bonita convertible crib that I love. It converts to a toddler bed and then a full size bed if you get the side rails. It's really pretty and very sturdy. My MIL offered to buy us a whole room set at Walmart or Target but I asked her to just get us a really nice crib because I wanted it to last multiple children and then still be convertible to a bed. We scraped together our other nursery furniture but it worked out great so far.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I highly recommend the Arms Reach Co-sleeper (as MaryMW recommended). It was a life saver for me! You can lower down one side and pull it close to your bed and secure it to your mattress. It is also great for traveling as it is easy to break down and set back up. I had a Cesarian with my daughter and it was a God send because it was very painful to get in and out of bed for the first week or so. The best part is (as the title says) your baby is always within an arms reach of you, which if you are a new mother is so nice because I always wanted reassured that she was breathing. I bought mine from Amazon.com, but they can also be purchased for a similar or lower price sometimes from Albeebaby.com. I have also sometimes seen them at second hand baby stores. They cost around $125 new.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 9:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i love the pack and play playpens with bassinets. the original bassinet when used at naps with my first only lasted until she was 2=-3 months max.. really imo a waste of money when i can get over a full years worth out of the play pen with bassinet.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i also have a crib, but we ended up cosleeping anyways, so at least I got the three in one (converts from crib to toddler to big kid bed) and it had a side dresser/changing table which was a plus.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I recently bought the Pretty Ribbon Baby Bassinet from ababy.com. I would recommend them as they are really comfortable and actually prepare babies to sleep individually before going into the crib. Their collection is unique and with various new baby bassinets being added recently to their collection. We have been using it since last 6 months and my baby sleeps just fine in it.

lydiasinger

Answer by lydiasinger at 5:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2011