No weight gain?

In the beginning of my pregnancy I lost 10 pounds. Went into the doc today for my 16 week check up and I hadn't gained anything! I have been eating a lot now that I am no longer nauseous (well I have my days, but it normally subsides after I eat some crackers and drink some water) the doctor didn't seem concerned. I know I shouldn't have gained a whole lot of weight, but I should have gained some, right? I did with my other two at this point. They asked me to gain 30-35 pounds due to not weighing very much in the first place.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think everything will be fine, especially since baby is growing. I was 15 pounds underweight before i became preg with my first son and i only gained 18 pounds with him. WIth all my other pregnancies i lost weight my first 20 weeks due to getting sick everyday, all day. WIth my last pregnancy i only gained a total of 12 pounds my entire pregnancy and baby turned out just fine. I did measure 1 week behind and had to get an U/S just to make sure baby was growing and he was fine. Congrats on your pregnancy!:)
    Anonymous

• every pregnancy is different, so try not to compare lol. if the dr. is not concerned then you are fine. the baby must be growning normally, so that's great. you don't have to gain weight while you're pregnant......sometimes you don't gain at all or very little (especially if you're small to begin with)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Oh baby is definantly fine :) the doctor began my appt with telling me that my uterus should be mid way between my belly button and pubic bone. I laughed and said it is about mid belly button. She looked shocked and checked, sure enough I was right. She then felt for baby and said hmm...looks like baby is growing just fine. I just want to be as healthy as I can for baby and was a bit concerned with gaining no weight yet.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• With my first pregnancy I gained 40 lbs. Though, with this pregnancy (I am now 32w 1d), I have only gained 12lbs so far. My first trimester I lost weight too and didn't gain any. I was worried about it too and thought it was odd for the doctor not to seem concerned but the baby is growing fine and everything looks good and normal. I think there is only something to worry about if the baby isn't growing the way it should. Everything should be fine! Good luck.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 8:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• my first pregnancy i lost 15 lbs the first three months.. i did not start to really gain any back until my 4th or 5th month, then the 9th month i ballooned lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Don't worry about it as long as you know you are getting enough good nutritious food for you and the baby. With my first, I gained 6lbs by 6 months, then packed on the pounds at the end. With my second, I gained 8lbs by 6 months, and again, packed on pounds at the end. This time I have gained like a hog the entire pregnancy and gained more than twice what I did with either other pregnancy TOTAL. Every pregnancy is different, and will in all likelihood result in a healthy pregnancy.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011