Why wont my son pay attention?

My son is in kindergarten and his teacher has been complaining that he doesnt do his work in class. She says he just spaces out and stares at the paper. I stayed with him in class to observe and I had to keep telling him to get his work done. I dont know why he just doesnt do his work. He loves working on homework at home and he never had this problem at his other school. I moved recently and he is going to a new school now and he has been there for about a month now. When the kids in his class read he doesnt pay no attention and when the teacher talks to explain a assignment he doesnt listen. What can I do to help me focus? He doesnt even listen to the teacher when she is talking to him, he acts like he doesnt hear her. His father says its ADD but I dont think so. What do I do please some advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• how is his writing and reading at home?

have you had his hearing tested? the reason i'm asking about the hearing as some people find it hard to concentrate when there other noise going one its a hearing problem .

is he a day dreamer ?

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yeah my son has had a hearing test. i dont know what to do =(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• He's 5....... could just be a stage.

Or not. Mine doesn't listen either and he's 7.
    Anonymous

• ok my other thought was dyslexia but you said he works at home okis anything worrying him , dose he like school  , how is he socially l, sorry i know it a lot of questions but it hard to try and  help without a lot of infojust in case signs of dyselxia Has particular difficulty with reading and spelling. Puts letters and figures the wrong way round. Has difficulty remembering tables, alphabet, formulae etc. Leaves letters out of words or puts them in the wrong order. Still occasionally confuses 'b' and 'd' and words such as 'no/on'. Still needs to use fingers or marks on paper to make simple calculations. Poor concentration. Has problems understanding what he/she has read. Takes longer than average to do written work. Problems processing language at speed.

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• He liked his other school but ever since he went to his new school he told me that he didint want to go to school anymore. He does very well with recognizing words and letters . He use to mistake his d and b, m and w letters but he does fine now. He sometimes writes his letters upside down when he switches he left and right hand. When he does his homework at home he is fine when it comes to finishing it but he needs to be guided on the directions. He has a short attention span though, if someone isnt by him to help him he will get distracted but I figured that was normal with a 5 year old. He loves to read and learn his words from school. He is great with his sight words, number, alphabet, sounds but has sometimes trouble remembering the letters when he writes a sentence.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• he might be having a hard time adjusting. is there a school therapist? is there a therapist the family can go to for coping strategies? change can be very hard.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• thats what I figured because he kept saying that he wanted to go back to his old school because he had friends. I dont think there is a school therapist.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Maybe he is having a hard time adjusting to the new school. What are the chances that he got picked on his 1st few days at school? and this has effected him?
    How does his old curriculum match up to his new school? He may feel bored if hes already done this stuff.. Or he may feel stressed if the new school has left a gap in his learning.
    Its a huge difference. but I moved only once in school (7th grade) and it was hard. I was BORED in my new school & the 1st day someone tried picking on me (ehh i put him in his place.) so something like that could have a huge effect on a younger kid.
    Is there any way to help him make some friends in his class out of school? A place some of the kids may visit after school. church activities...
    Good Luck! Just give him some time. :) Change is scary.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thany you tasha.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Have you looked into auditory processing disorder?
    My son is in K, and has trouble focusing. He needs directions repeated a lot, doesn't complete his work, and zones out a lot and gives his teacher a blank stare when she asks him things. I've had 3 separate people mention auditory processing to me, we're trying to find an audiologist that will test him this young.
    We just had a meeting with the school psychologist, the teacher, and the principal last week to discuss ds' issues and try to come up with a plan for now until we get a formal diagnosis of something. I really recommend talking to the school psych. Ours sent me a home evaluation and had the teacher complete one as well...he lost ds' folder, so he didn't have the results at the meeting, but was able to tell us we had no reason to be concerned about ADD.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 12:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2011