Why is it................

.................that most people who claim to be "Christian" are also the most judgemental? I am not saying that all Christians are judgemental. I have a lot of relatives that claim to be Christian that love to sit back and judge others lives and accuse others of being heathens. Is this common? It is these type of people that turn me off to going to church!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yep, that about sums up my feelings. SOME Christians seem to wrap themselves in Self-righteousness which is really quite hypocritical & funny when you think about it. Their god is about judgement & fear, this is what they are taught when they are children so this is what they take into their adult life and like a lot ofl those who are bought up in a certain way, they just pass it right on because it's all they know.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 6:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• these people you mentioned are also related to you and are Christians. i think most people well judge in all religions regardless of being christian or not. so if you let people rule your life cause of judgment then you won't get very far. i know that i get judged and frankly it hurts but i won't let people keep me from enjoying my life and my church. my church teaches us to be better and forgive others. i think not judging others is a hard thing not to do. i know i do it but it has nothing to do with being christian but something i developed by up bringing but i can also say that they're are things that i'm totally not judgmental about. like race, religion, life, looks just about everything but there are times i notice that i did judge someone but doesn't mean i judged them wrong.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I think lots of times it's just that they have very strong beliefs about what is right and what is wrong and they feel that it is their duty to pass on "God's word" and share His message about right and wrong with others. I have met a lot of people who don't do that in a very nice way, but I have also met plenty who are much more subtle and come across much nicer and easier to take than that.
    Anonymous

• Lots of people are judgemental. I don't think being a Christian has anything to do with it. Some people are just like that regardless of their faith, religion or lack of either. I don't care how people act around me, I go to church for me and the way it makes me feel. Those same people are at the mall, grocery ect. and that doesn't stop me then so why should I let any other time.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 6:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• oh heck people even in one of my meetings for pagans can be judgemental. Its not just a christian thing.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• It isn't "most" Christians...it's really only handful...it's just that they seem to make the most "noise". In posting your question, you were judging "most" Christians. Please don't base your not wanting to go to church on a few judgemental people. There are judgemental people in EVERY faith!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• i tend to agree--and i am not saying all "christians" are judgmental either--but i have been hurt by some that are very judgemental and it has turned me away from the church and spirituality--it just seems like they are the first to say to me if you are a christian, you are NOT to do this, that , that, that, need i go on--and to me who are they to judge--the judging should have been left up to "god" not them.
    Anonymous

• When I was 19, I found myself pregnant and was going to have an abortion. My very very religious side of the family came into the video store where I worked and followed me around reading me scriptures about abortion and conceiving and life and things like that. Then my cousin came after them, pushed me into a brick wall, called me a whore and slapped my face.
    I told them if that's what their "religion" told them to do to a person who believed different then them, then they could keep their "religion" to themselves. I've often found the ones that are the more religious, are the ones that are the first to turn your back on you. I hate it.
    Anonymous

• Wow anon 7:24 that was terrible. I am so sorry you went throught that.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I think the judgemental thing is a human thing
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2008