MILK- From Vit D to 2%

My family has always drank 2% milk. That's what we were raised on and I have always planned on having my child drink 2% as well, my question is, at what age is it appropriate to switch my 2 year old son from Vit D to 2%???

MsIrish87

Asked by MsIrish87 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Health

• My doctor told me that it was ok for her to start at her 2 year appt. So I would say it's ok
    Wifey_to_Kris

Answer by Wifey_to_Kris at 6:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Check with your doc; infants and toddlers need the fat that whole milk provides but I'm not sure what the timeframe is.
    Anonymous

• I switched my kids at 3, but then was advised by my Dr. that my very thin kids needed the extra fat and to keep them on it for a few more years. Now, they are 12, 8, and 6 and I give it to them in the winter - the Vitamin D in winter and 2% in the summer. The reason is the in winter, the kids need more vitamin D - so I give them D suppliments, along with their multi and vitamin D milk. Since doing this, they have not had the flu or colds in several years!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Two is good
    Anonymous

• Dr. say 2 yrs old.... but I have mine on fat free milk. I am a nutritionist, and am well educated on sources of fat. there are plenty of other forms of healthy fat out there, which is why we do fat free milk.

I wouldn't wait longer than 2yrs though.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I've always heard you can start 2% milk at age 2.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2008