When can my baby boy start eating real food ?

Hes five months on april 12c he weighs 20 pounds now .

Monidiegoarturo

Asked by Monidiegoarturo at 8:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 months at the minimum for table foods but lots of babies arent ready until closer to 1. Sitting by himself, loss of the tongue thrust reflex, and the ability to use pincher grasp are signs he's ready for playing and experiementing with the different tastes and textures of table food.
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 8:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thank you ! Im very eager to start giving some puree fruits i wont be able to give some yet unsalted &unflavored at all ? He eats every thre hours six ounces how do i go about it if i give him table food ? Does it count as a bottle feeding or half &half ?
    Monidiegoarturo

Comment by Monidiegoarturo (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Bottle first, then solids, until 1 year. He can eat however much he wants after the bottle. WHEN he's ready. For most babies, that's not until 6 months or later. Signs to look for are ability to sit unsupported, pincer grasp (using thumb and forefinger to pick up small objects instead of the whole hand), showing interest in your food, and loss of the tongue thrust reflex (only way to test this is to try it).

The easiest thing to do is, when he's able to sit and can pick up food by himself, just give him table food and skip the baby food altogether. That's what I did for my second after she refused to let anyone spoon feed her, and it made me wish I'd done it with my first. No need to spend extra money on jarred foods or extra time/effort on making your own, you can eat a hot meal with the rest of the family since you won't have to feed baby a special meal, and no questions about readiness or overfeeding. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thank you that helped a lot ! His baby puree foods can be introduced soon is there any conplications like constipation ?
    Monidiegoarturo

Comment by Monidiegoarturo (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It all depends on the needs of the baby. I started baby foods at different ages with all 4 of my boys. With my first, i started baby cereal at about 5 months, with my 2nd i didnt start anything until 6 months and with my3rd son i didnt start baby food or cereals until he was 7 1/2 months. But with my 4th baby....he was diagnosed with failure to thrive so his pediatritian wanted me to start baby cereal once a day at 4 1/2 months..only he refused to eat it. He never did eat baby food, baby cereal or any puree foods. He went right to table foods at 6 months and did fine with what i gave to him. Now he is 11 months old and has finally gained weight up to 16 pounds.

I dont think you will have any problems with constipation if you are giving your LO water as well as baby food. Water will help to soften the stools when you introduce baby foods. Good Luck and i am happy that you are so excited about caring for your baby.
    Anonymous

• One thing to keep in mind is the 4 day rule. Whenever you decide to start introducing foods only introduce one new food every 4 days. This is important so if he reacts to something, you will know what it is. My Ped. told me I can start my daughter on rice cereal now and when she's 6 months (on the 28th) she is free to have anything except raw meat (duh) and honey until age two. Just make sure you puree it enough that they don't choke on it. My Ped. also said if we were going to feed her what we were eating to set some aside for her that was unseasoned to reduce the amount of salt she intakes.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 9:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Thank you for all your help :) i will definatly keep that in mind the four day fule &i cant wait to shop for his cereal . &im glad to uear your last baby boy did great with the table food . Ethan isnt a big fan of water he drinks about two ounces a day but ill keep giving it to him . Im thinking about giving him cereal in the morning s maybe at nights also then introduce some fruit mixed . Thank you you habe helped a lot . &yes its very exiting to watch my baby grow &learn maybe because im young experiencing this :)
    Monidiegoarturo

Comment by Monidiegoarturo (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I recommend waiting until 6 mos. At that point, you can do purees, or even soft/small table food. Banana, avocado, and sweet potato are great starter foods. You can puree, fork mash, or cut into bite size pieces (bake the potato first). Until baby is a year old, nurse/bottle FIRST, then offer solids. Cereal is common, but you don't HAVE To use it if you don't want to. Personally, I feel that it's garbage. Why is he drinking water? I wouldn't recommend water until he's at least eating some solids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Ok look, I guess I am an "older" mom. I had the first of my 5 kids way back in 1986, when many moms on here were also just being born. I gave my kids (at the recomendation of the ped) cereal and food at 4 months. He is now 25 and healthy as a horse. It is your baby, follow what you think your doctor gives as good advice, or your gut. It doesn't matter what others think. I personally would never make a baby wait until a year old to have baby food. Guess that is the wonderful thing about them being MY kids. I do what I think is best.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• baby food can be started at 6 months so long as they can sit up on their own. (if they can't yet, then wait until they can sit up on their own).

start with cereal.. give 3-5 days before introducing a new food.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011