• In the Spotlight:

i found a small clear blister on my nipple. i was wondering if that is normal while breastfeeding

Well I pump he does not latch on. Also was wondering if it pops will it make him sick? I am not sure I will think to check and see if it pops at 3 in the morning (I'm on a schedule).

beccan

Asked by beccan at 6:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Health

• How long have you been breastfeeding? If you just started then I'd say it's probably normal. When I first started my nipples were something straight out of a horror movie! If you're already established I don't know. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• connor is almost 7 months old.
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 6:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I had lots of those when I nursed my daughter. Plus, I was bruised by her too. I only managed three months because I found nursing far too painful. When I put her on formula, the bottle was the Playtex bottle with the large nipple and the bag inside. Her face turned red when trying to get food. I literally cut a large hole in the nipple, and she was happy.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 7:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• It's probably fine. Is the blister on the tip of the nipple as if it's covering a duct? Or is it on the side of the nipple?

If it's at the tip it's probably just a piece of dead skin blocking a duct. You can soften it and scrape it off with your fingernail. If it's on the side of your nipple it may be caused by friction from your pump. Make sure it doesn't rub against the pump.

It's fine to continue pumping your milk.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 7:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• its on the tip. i scrapped that scabby white stuff off (it was itching normally i leave it alone) and that is when i found it! freaked me out!
    thank you all for your answers!!!!
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 7:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I HAVE THOSE BECCAN . ITS REALLY NOTHING SORT OF LIKE A PIMPLE LIKE THING . I AM PRETTY SURE ITS NORMAL AND WON'T HURT THE BABY
    anozira36

Answer by anozira36 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I did the same thing you are doing. I pumped for 7 months. And I had plenty of them. I figured it was like a water blister from the suction of the pump. Good luck
    akl328

Answer by akl328 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Does your breast hurt? I had this same thing when i breast fed it turned out to be a plugged duct. I read that you can stick a needle (like a threading needle) in there and open the duct, use a warm cloth or just let the baby nurse from it and it'll unplug itself. It ended up going away, I would nurse from that breast first so it wouldnt get full and be more painful.
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008