really bad heartburn

I have super bad heartburn to the point where im basically crying. keeps coming on and off. my boyfriend doesnt seem to care.... hes just keeps saying "what do you want me to do im not a doctor". anyone know how to get rid of it please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had moderate heartburn, tums were my friend! I actually got to the point where I liked the taste of them lol. Call your doctor. There are several prescription and OTC meds that you can take, but I don't like reccomending anything because I don't know your situation, you know?
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I use TUMS or Rolaids. Both clear it for me very quickly. Usually TUMS for me though. They seem to last longer.
    Anonymous

• Oh I am with you on this one; my heartburn is constant and almost unbearable lately. :( :( I'm so sorry you're going through the same thing!!

There isn't really a miracle cure, but something that helps a lot is to eat only in small amounts throughout the day. Even if you're starving, don't gorge on a huge meal...spread out your eating so that you're eating about every hour, if you can. This helps your body keep the food down better, so you won't have as much coming back up. The same is true for water - you need to be drinking a lot of it during the day, but drinking too much at once will make it worse.

I know some people may disagree with this, but I also recommend popping a couple Tums when it gets really bad. It won't help for long, but hopefully long enough for the worst to have subsided. Plus you get that extra calcium too! :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I had heartburn to the point of throwing up when I was pregnant and my dr recommended pepcid ac and it worked pretty well. Good luck!!
    mandy5481

Answer by mandy5481 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I have horrible heartburn. I'm also 8months pregnant. Tums are my best friend and go everywhere with me, I have a bottle on every floor of my house.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 6:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• tums is good try not to lay down for about half hour after eating and try a glass of milk that seems to work for me
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Tums, Maalox, Pepcid all work wonders. If you don't have any at home, try drinking a glass of milk or eating a slice of bread or some crackers. I always opt for a slice of bread (it absorbs the acids better) because I HATE the taste of those chewable antacids....blech...
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Oh another thing I swear by is saltines. Sometimes eating a few saltines and sipping some water takes care of the burning!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• a peppermint seems to help me out with a glass of milk.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2008