Buying a house?

For those of you who have been through this...

Did you use a realtor? If not, why? If so, did you have a good experience?

2AwesomeKiddos

Asked by 2AwesomeKiddos at 9:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I had a GREAT experience with it when we bought 2 years ago. I Am a Realtor
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I LOVED our realtor and if you are in Colorado I will HIGHLY recommend her to you! She makes you feel like you are the only person she is working with even though she is working insane long hours with tons of other families, she knows all the laws and the secrets of the trade. If we did it on our own we would have gone in somewhat blind. My husband knows a lot too but unless you are a realtor, you probably don't know as much as one. She did all of the research too and only showed us houses in our price range and what we were looking for in the house. Being a realtor is a lot of leg work I would never in a million years want to do!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We didn't pay for a realtor, no. We contacted a realtor who was selling a property and she ended up helping us with our search. We never hired her though. We really liked her though. She was very knowlegable and very helpful. We'd definately go to her again if we infact decide to ever buy/sell.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We were househunters for a few months in 2006 with one realtor we liked, then we had a realtor for 6mo or so when we were looking more seriously in 2008 and it was not a good relationship anything that matched our dream list he shot down and kept showing us the same dumps in the city, we switched to the realtor my parents were using as a listing agent and found our house within the first two weeks :) we didn't have a long relationship, and her catch phrase "it is what it is" drove hubby nuts, but she got us a good deal, stayed on the sellers agent who sucked! buying a house was quite the learning experience for us...
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I used an agent that I liked. I would look around and go with the one that works for you.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We used an agent. I found the house but in his defense it was not in the area we had told him we were interested in.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• We went straight through the builder and then told them we wanted a 2,500 discount since we didn't use a realtor. They accepted and we built our house. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:28 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Our first house we did not use a realtor. Our second house we did and it seemed to go much more smoothly than the first. He was able to suggest things to us that we didn't realize and he helped us with the negotiations once we picked a house we liked. I would call a few Realtors and ask questions and chat with them to be sure you get one that is a good fit for you. You don't have to used any of them, so just be sure you get one you feel like you can trust and who is actually going to be working for you and not against you.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We bought my childhood home on land contract from my parents.
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2011