Start up ?? How to get pre-orders...

So I have this great idea that I want to do in order to work from home.
I'm only a few days into the research for starting it up, but my DH says that before I go ahead and get the equipment I would need, that I should get some orders first.
How do I get orders for something I can't make yet?
Oh, I want to make personalized coffee mugs - the start up would be around $500 +
and that's just for the equipment/supplies...
Any ideas on how to get pre-orders before I even buy the equipment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• you need to put together a portfolio of what you will be making and show what the options will be, once you do that, maybe get some friends together and show them what you are planning...I bet some of them would order.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• You will need sample before you can start selling.

Write your business plan before you go any further. You may qualify for a micro-loan, or other startup financing

Answer by rkoloms at 5:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Sorry to say, your husband is right. I started a home business when my kids were little - special tshirts I thought would be super popular. I spent over $200 for the design, purchased over 20 dozen tshirts. Needless to say, 10 years later I still have about 15 dozen tshirts and bins of additional items. I would never do something like that again. The return on the investment is so minimal that it is not worth it. I eventually ended up starting a home business with Arbonne. It is like night and day. Less work and investment and completely more return. As a finance major, you think I would have thought about this better. Look for consumable products, something that there is a demand for currently and one where you can leverage your time. Eventually I hope to get rid of the tees, but in the mean time, I have a super business that is continuing to grow with way less effort than my tshirt business.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 8:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2011