how do you make a good gallon on sweet tea

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I'm a California girl, so Southern Mama's might laugh at my sweet tea, but I used to just use the bags of Lipton's Cold Brew tea and then add enough sugar to suit my taste.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• The above poster is correct, or you can use whatever brand of tea you prefer and add sugar to YOUR taste. How do I make it? I go to McDonalds and Buy a gallon of sweet tea. Always perfect. LOL
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Make sure you add the sugar when the water is still hot...very important lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Im a country girl and I do the same lol. I boil hot water and put the tea bags in, add sugar then cold water and call it a day. You can also buy one of those iced tea makers, they work the same.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 8:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• ok,the perfect gallon of tea, put 9 tea bags in a small pot of water,bring to a boil.and cut on low,for a few minutes,then pour in pitcher,add 2 cups of sugar,mix it good,then fill he rest of the pitcher with cold water,mix again,chill and serve.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I'm a southern girl and I agree with all of the above except the 2 cups of sugar. That's even too sweet for me! lol I would go with 1 and a half cups of sugar first...............you can always add more but you can't take it out! lol
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 11:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• LOL....Southern girl here too, married to a man who, at this point MUST have sweet tea running in his veins! The amount of bags depends on the size if the bags. You need 4 of the big, 8 of the little. A good 10 or 15 min steep is best (boil water w/ teabags. cut off once it's boiled. Let sit) I have made it with no steeping in a pinch and its ok. I use 2 scoops of sugar with a 2/3 measuring cup. used to use 2 cups...not too much of a diff in taste. Mix it up. It gets sweeter as it gets colder!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I personally do not like to boil my water to make ice tea. What I do is take three family size bags into a pitcher of faucet hot water and let it stand until its strength is strong .My water is pretty hot so it only takes me about 15 minutes.Then you can add sugar according to your taste .Everyone that comes to visit me who drink some tea always commit that it is the best tea they ever drank .I think its because boiling tends to give it a bitter tast or adding water weakens the strength.So try it this way and see the difference .I believe you will see a big difference and will never go back to boiling tea again.
    Doreenas6

Answer by Doreenas6 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i use a medium size saucepan 1/2 full of water and 8-10 luzianne small tea bags. i put it on the stove on high just until it boils. i have 2 cups of sugar in a pitcher and add the tea as soon as it boils. i stir it to mix the sugar up while it's still hot so that it disolves good. i add ice untill they stop melting and the outside of the pitcher feels cool where the tea is. about 2 trays is what it usually takes, depending on the size of the ice cubes. to figure out how many to add just add a few at a time untill they stop popping when you put them in there. my goal is to have about 10 cubes that don't totally melt and float on the top. i then fill it the rest of the way up with cold water and stick in the fridge. for some reason, quickly cooling it with the itce cubes makes a big difference in the taste, and it keeps it from getting watery when you pour still warm tea into a glass of ice.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i have found out that the weaker you make your tea, the less sugar you have to use. i prefer to keep one pan that's totally just for tea. i use it for nothing else, and just rinse it out after every use. the tea will pick up the flavors of whatever else was in the pan last, or the flavor of your soap. i do the same with the pitcher, i have one for tea, one for koolaid. i don't wash them either, just rinse and when they start getting stained i will fill it with hot bleach water and let it set for a few minutes to take the stain out.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008