Crosstraining Schedule for 2 Different Events

I am training for both a climb and a half marathon, and need some scheduling tips. My husband and I have a July permit to summit Half Dome in Yosemite, and I am registered for a LD half. I am a stronger runner than climber, especially factoring the elevation of Yosemite. I am concerned about the cables involved at the top of the climb. I'd appreciate any pointers and scheduling advice. Thanks!

Sisteract

Asked by Sisteract at 9:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Hmmm...I am not a climber but I am a runner. I have questions: 1. have you run a half marathon before? 2. how much climbing have you done? 3. When is your half? 4. Are you training for the climb?
    You can train for a successful half running 3 days a week. (try the Smartcoach plan on runner's world, it will give you 3 or 4 days, but you can adjust) that will leave time to also train for the climb w/o over stressing your body. Make sure you take 1 rest day a week, get enough sleep and fuel your body for your training not weight loss (don't know whether weight loss is a factor here, just throwing that in there). Definitely work on upper body strength for your climbing. Great cross training for running is cycling and swimming as they are easier on you, but still maintain fitness.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Yes, I have run halves before, but it has been 5 years. I have climbed off and on, but nothing sustained. My climb is in July and the half is in September. Of note, I live on the coast, so I will need to travel for elevation training. I have a large loop with hills near my home. It is about 12 miles total- I thought I would run the 5 mile portions which are downhill and flat and climb the hilly, trail portion, a couple of times a week. I will round out the running with TM training several times a week. I also have selected some training climbs that involve rock stairs and elevation- I understandthis is important for the HD climb.Luckily, the run I have entered,  is a flat course- Yes, the upper body training scares me- I have a week upper body.

Sisteract

Comment by Sisteract (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011