Why does my 5 mo old wake up from sleep sometimes screaming and crying?

Last night she scared us so much. She was asleep for a little over an hour, and then we heard a loud shrill cry and we raced upstairs. When my hubby picked her up, she only screamed louder (it was terrifying). Then I took her and she finally calmed down, and fell asleep on my shoulder. But is this normal? A bad dream?

TheresaL

Asked by TheresaL at 6:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son used to do the same thing for about 5 or 6 nights. Scared us too. He stopped and hasn't done it since. good luck!
    Anonymous

• my son did the same thing...we figured it out..he was cutting teeth. and forhim he would hurt the most at night and would wake up screaming for hours....i would hold him try to feed him rock and sing.. nothing worked...but when we found out it was him cutting teeth he could have small doses of infant tylenol..it did help a little.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 7:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My son would do the same thing and he's 6 1/2 months. For him its teething, we have tried a little bit of the orajel once and that worked, just becareful with medicines though.
    Anonymous

• I have a 14 month old who is doing that now. We didnt know what was wrong. I would walk in and he had taken off his socks and chewing on it. As the others stated he was cutting a new tooth. Now I just leave his teething cloth in the bed with him.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 8:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• my 2 month old does that and i doubt she is teething i just think its bad dreams i dont know.
    em9x

Answer by em9x at 9:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I could be a lot of things, unset stomach, or just that she woke up and wants her mama. Try keeping on soothing music, it helped my daughter when she felt like she was missing me. Sometimes something as simple as the shirt you wore that day for a blanket works too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• might be night terrors, my daughter is 3 and still has them. some kids grow out of it and some it takes longer, good luck
    jkmommy2

Answer by jkmommy2 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2008