Sleepwalking?

Is that something i should talk to the doctor? Or what can I do to help?

twinmommy2010

Asked by twinmommy2010 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• scary....I would just mention it to the pediatrician, though I don't know that there is anything you can do to help other than making sure the doors are locked and they can't reach the locks.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• don't wake a sleep walker just gently lead them back to bed, make sure your house is child proofed, and doors are locked up.. my brother & one of my kids were sleep walkers and they can open doors, talk, but unaware of what they are doing..again try not to wake them it can be dangerous.. also sometimes sleep walking is caused from lack of sleep so try to make sure the child gets plenty of rest..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/children/parents/special/common/160.html
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I don't have any experience with this, but I have heard that waking a sleep walker is VERY dangerous as well as other have posted.
    rejones

Answer by rejones at 10:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• while it is not unhealthy dangerous to wake a sleepwalker, it could cause issues as they might wake up very disoriented. My one step son used to sleep walk a lot. In fact, he would pee all over the freakin house while he did it. He did it due to anxiety (stemming from bio mom issues), but it can also occur if a child it over tired, or sick. Once we had our BM issues resolved, the sleep walking stopped.
    I would consult a doctor. He might have some suggestions for you. In the mean time, block of stairs, lock window and bolt the doors.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I used to sleep walk as a child....at one point I unlocked the bolt lock and was walking down the sidewalk to get my neighbor for school. I agree you should talk to the pediatrician. Mine seemed to happen when I was super tired. Good luck.
    Holland04

Answer by Holland04 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I have a sleep walker. Its best NOT to wake them up. I just guide him back to bed and he usually stays. I think its something they outgrow, as I did it as a child and of course outgrew it.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2011