My dog stinks

hey. i have a question about my dog. it's a cattle dog.he is 4.5 years old and we got him from the animal shelter 3 years ago. He is great,very smart dog.But something is going on with him,he stinks. It's not his skin or his coat,something else,but i can't figure it out,what. I give him a bath once or twice a month,brush his hair,it looks to me either his behind stinks or he stinks from inside,which means that somethins is wrong with him. Right now i can not take him to the vet,we just had another baby and i am very concerned about my kids health,what if they get sick,it could be anything. He looks healthy to me:eats a lot,runs in the backyard,sleeps fine and plays well with our french bulldog(he doesn't stink at all).
Do you know what could be causing it?I checked his coat,nothing strange. He used to stink few years ago too,it comes and goes. But it's really bed right now.They sleep in the basement,and when you go downstairs,you can barely breath.
What should i do???? what does that mean???

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Pets

• have you changed his dog food? One of our dogs developed a certain unpleasant smell when he was on a cheaper dog food. He didn't really prefer the food so we switched again. smell gone.
    rejones

Answer by rejones at 10:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• He may be having a problem with his anal glands.Also check his teeth,they may need to be cleaned.Your kids should be safe as far as catching anything from the dog.He probably needs to be seen by your vet as soon as you can.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• thank you so much. i just found some info online and i think he has a yeast infection. Everything points to it,he even has some hair loss on his face and red spots around his nose,and he keeps scratching them,and they bleed.so i have to take him to the vet :)

crouse3

Comment by crouse3 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Our Shepherd had terrible yeast infections in her ears that made her smell bad. You may want to mention that to the Vet too. It's very common..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011