Could my son be allergic to formula?

My 6 month old son gets splotchy spots all over his face and head immediately when he starts drinking his formula. I thought maybe it was an allergy to his formula but he also gets this splotchiness when I nurse him or if he is drinking water, juice, etc. We have a dr appt in a week and plan to ask him then. He also spits up pretty frequently, but this is not new. I introduced him to formula at about 4 months. That is when i first noticed the splotchiness.

rejones

Asked by rejones at 10:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He could be developing allergies or if he's like my son.. he could be developing eczema. My son around 4-6months started getting those red spots all over his body. Is he scratching? I know my son started itching all over. I learned later my son was lactose intolerance and other things. My doctor tells me he'll grow out of it.. He's four and not grown of it yet..
    It's good to know your talking him to see the doctor.
    Reirn

Answer by Reirn at 10:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• it doesnt itch. it goes away within a few minutes after he finished eating. It could be eczema though because he also has rough patches on his legs.
    rejones

Comment by rejones (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It is possible to be allergic to anything. I would definitely talk to the pedi and let her know the concern. Could you maybe even take some pics of the red splotches so you can show the dr? Also, I would start a journal right now b/c that's what they will want to see. Write down what time your little one eats, what exactly it is that he is eating, the amount he is getting (if it is breastmilk, then write down how long he nursed), also you will need to write down when the splotches occur and how long they last. If you have at least a week of this to take to the dr it will be helpful for them. My youngest has food allergies and we had to keep a ton of food journals for all the different doctors we had to go to back then. Best of luck to you and your little one :)
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• If he's doing it when drinking anything, then no, it's not a formula allergy - if it was a formula allergy, breastfeeding & water wouldn't affect him. I'd ask his doc about it ASAP though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• one: he shouldnt have any juices at all! before 6 months, strictly formula or beastmilk. if hes sitting up you can do a sippy of formula or breastmilk and introduce baby food. if you notice blotchiness call your doctor mmediately! formula or breastmilk are necessary to babies so it needs to be addressed immediately!

not until a year should you introduce cow milk or juices etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011