Do you ever think that someone must be lying? Could others think you are lying?

I was talking to my mother on the phone this evening and she was telling me that apparently, the office manager where she works thinks she is a liar. My brother used to be in an elite military group, my dad has a unique hobby and while he does not have his own show on TV, a friend of his does (with the same hobby). And my dad has a very unique vehicle that was only produced in limit quantities. The fact that this man thinks she is a liar came to light when my Dad came to pick my mother up from work in his car and the office manager made a comment that he thought the car was just another of my mother's 'stories'.

As I began to list other things in her life that had happened that could add to the story, we began to realize how some of the things she experienced might be considered outlandish to someone who doesn't know her.  I started to wonder about the things that happened in my life that others might find unbelievable. 

I didn't come up with much, except most people don't believe that I was physically and emotionally abused by my ex husband (I don't usually put up with crap and i did with him). And most people don't believe I was ever thin. But we came up with a huge list for my mother!!  Heck, if I didn't know her, I would think she was lying about all the things that she's done or had happen to her in her life!

What things or list of things might someone think was a 'story' if they didn't know you very well?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• A lot of people don't believe a lot of things that have happened to me. But I don't care, I know what really happened. My aunt once said something to the effect of "you sure have had an experience in every arena" or something like that. I don't even tell most of my "stories" anymore. Especially online.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I know exactly what you mean. I've had some crazy luck in my life, both good and bad. My experience with my ex is one example. I dated a complete loser for 10 years. Even I don't always believe the stuff I put up with. There are always a few other "stories" of mine that no one ever seems to believe, so I usually don't bother sharing them with anyone I don't know very well. It doesn't matter much to me, though. I got over trying to "prove" myself to people a long time ago.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2011